Bengal Marxist disowns son for changing allegiance
Kolkata: For this die-hard Marxist, family bonds are secondary to his political ideology. CPI-M leader Golam Kuddus did not bat an eyelid before disowning his son and daughter-in-law after she decided to contest as a Congress candidate in the upcoming West Bengal panchayat polls.
Kuddus, the Communist Party of India-Marxist (CPI-M) zonal committee secretary in Birbhum district`s Rampurhat, announced he would sever all ties with his youngest son Sirajul Islam after daughter-in-law Sahina Yasmin filed her nomination to contest the election as a Congress candidate.
"I cannot reconcile to the fact that someone from my family will contest as a candidate of another party. I have been associated with the CPI-M since 1978 and have tried to instil the same principles in all my children and family members," said Kuddus.
Kuddus, who has five sons and daughters-in-law, said he tried to persuade Islam and his wife to withdraw the nomination, but when they refused to relent, he was compelled to take the drastic step.
"I told my son that none in the family is going to vote for his wife," added Kuddus.
His son though is unperturbed. "I respect my father`s belief in a party, but it is no crime to contest elections on the ticket of another party," Islam said.
The process of filing of nomination papers and withdrawal of candidature from the rural polls will end in the district June 15. The polls will be held on July 06.
The three-phase panchayat polls are slated to be held July 02, 06 and 09 across 17 districts of the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- More than 9 lakh people participated in the oath-taking ceremony of Donald Trump
- DNA: Analyzing the harmful effects of selfies
- Report of a taxi driver who lends helping hand to patients in Mumbai
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog