Bengal Marxist disowns son for changing allegiance
Kolkata: For this die-hard Marxist, family bonds are secondary to his political ideology. CPI-M leader Golam Kuddus did not bat an eyelid before disowning his son and daughter-in-law after she decided to contest as a Congress candidate in the upcoming West Bengal panchayat polls.
Kuddus, the Communist Party of India-Marxist (CPI-M) zonal committee secretary in Birbhum district`s Rampurhat, announced he would sever all ties with his youngest son Sirajul Islam after daughter-in-law Sahina Yasmin filed her nomination to contest the election as a Congress candidate.
"I cannot reconcile to the fact that someone from my family will contest as a candidate of another party. I have been associated with the CPI-M since 1978 and have tried to instil the same principles in all my children and family members," said Kuddus.
Kuddus, who has five sons and daughters-in-law, said he tried to persuade Islam and his wife to withdraw the nomination, but when they refused to relent, he was compelled to take the drastic step.
"I told my son that none in the family is going to vote for his wife," added Kuddus.
His son though is unperturbed. "I respect my father`s belief in a party, but it is no crime to contest elections on the ticket of another party," Islam said.
The process of filing of nomination papers and withdrawal of candidature from the rural polls will end in the district June 15. The polls will be held on July 06.
The three-phase panchayat polls are slated to be held July 02, 06 and 09 across 17 districts of the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- India's Balochistan push works, European Parliament warns Pakistan of sanctions over atrocities on Balochi people
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray