Bengal minister calls Jadavpur University gherao `inhuman`
Kolkata: West Bengal Minister Bratya Basu on Friday condemned the continued gherao of the VC, pro-VC and registrar of the Jadavpur University, describing it as "inhuman," and asked the students to desist from such a path and talk to the authorities.
"We strongly disapprove of ragging in educational institutions and this will never be tolerated under any circumstances," Basu said asking the students to lift the gherao.
The VC, pro-VC and the registrar of the prestigious university are under a gherao since Wednesday afternoon by a section of students who are demanding lifting of suspension of two fourth year engineering students charged with ragging a junior student.
The minister said gossip and `addas` (pep talk) could be held with newcomers in the institutes by seniors, "but if that reaches the level of physical torture and assaults and to some extent driving the victims to commit suicide even, that becomes very very serious".
Asked for his comment on the student leaders` claim that there was no case of ragging against the two students, the minister said, "The issue should be left to the university authorities."
"The university authority is the final authority to take a decision on the issue. They must have been convinced about it (case of ragging) and took the decision," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Telangana TS EAMCET Results 2016: Engineering, Agriculture and Medical Common Entrance Test (TS EAMCET) results to be declared today on May 26 (Thursday) on www.tseamcet.in at 11 AM
- World leaders kick off G7 talks with economy, terrorism and refugees in focus
- Indians face public wrath in Congo after Congolese national bludgeoned to death in Delhi; govt rejects racism claims
- Trump denounces illegal immigrants as tensions flare
- Regardless of N-deal, primary American embargo on Iran to stay: US Treasury Department