Bengal minister calls Jadavpur University gherao `inhuman`
Kolkata: West Bengal Minister Bratya Basu on Friday condemned the continued gherao of the VC, pro-VC and registrar of the Jadavpur University, describing it as "inhuman," and asked the students to desist from such a path and talk to the authorities.
"We strongly disapprove of ragging in educational institutions and this will never be tolerated under any circumstances," Basu said asking the students to lift the gherao.
The VC, pro-VC and the registrar of the prestigious university are under a gherao since Wednesday afternoon by a section of students who are demanding lifting of suspension of two fourth year engineering students charged with ragging a junior student.
The minister said gossip and `addas` (pep talk) could be held with newcomers in the institutes by seniors, "but if that reaches the level of physical torture and assaults and to some extent driving the victims to commit suicide even, that becomes very very serious".
Asked for his comment on the student leaders` claim that there was no case of ragging against the two students, the minister said, "The issue should be left to the university authorities."
"The university authority is the final authority to take a decision on the issue. They must have been convinced about it (case of ragging) and took the decision," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Heat wave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Kenyan Lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India