Bengal minister urges Pranab to bail out state
Kolkata: The Mamata Banerjee-led West Bengal government Sunday once again raised its demand for settling its debts, with a minister of the cash-starved state urging union Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee to bail it out of its huge burden.
"Now we look forward to you (Mukherjee) and the prime minister to do something for West Bengal.. at least there must be a scheme to helping out our state for changing the atmosphere for changing the unemployment problem and underdevelopment," state Industry Minister Partha Chatterjee said at a programme organised by industry lobby Assocham, where Mukherjee was also present.
"I am confident the government of India with Pranabda at the helm of affairs will look forward and bail out the debt burden for which the new government is not responsible," Chatterjee added.
Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee recently said the debt burden bequeathed by the erstwhile Left Front government in the state could be more than the estimated Rs 2.3 lakh crore. The state government has to pay Rs.22,000 crore per year as interest and part of the principal on account of servicing the debt.
Banerjee has also kept on insisting that since the new government has inherited this huge quantum of debt burden, the central government should find a way to waive these loans or settle the debt.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Fresh plea in SC against triple talaq system
- Consumers will be compensated for unscheduled power cuts: Delhi CM Kejriwal
- Shocking! Man dies performing stunt in moving train in Mumbai
- China planning to stretch its Nepal rail link to Bihar: Report
- National child helpline number '1098' now launched in 25 languages!
- Mbose.in HSSLC 12th Results 2016: Meghalaya Board (megresults.nic.in) class 12th HSSLC Arts exam results 2016, MBOSE to be declared today on May 25 at 10 AM
- Uttarakhand board Class 10th results 2016 to be declared today on May 25, 2016 at 11 AM
- Goa GBSHSE SSC Class 10th Results 2016 to be declared today May 25, 2016 at 3 PM
- Uttarakhand board Class 12th results 2016 to be declared today on May 25, 2016 at 11 AM
- 'Russia killed 28,000 militants in Syria, third of all IS forces'