Bengal `mourns` death of former Governor Viren J Shah
Kolkata: The West Bengal government on Sunday condoled the death of former state Governor Viren J Shah, who died of a heart attack in Jordan.
"The government and people of West Bengal mourn the demise of Shri Viren J Shah, a respected parliamentarian and a captain of industry," said a state Information and Culture department note.
Shah, who died in Jordan yesterday while on a holiday, served as Governor of West Bengal from 1999 to 2004, "during which he left his imprint as a lover of arts and a champion of enterprise."
"We (the govt) offer our deepest condolences to the bereaved family in their hour of crisis," the note said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sunanda Pushkar murder case: Police may approach court seeking lie detector test on Shashi Tharoor
- Check JEE (Main) 2015 rank on www.jeemain.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in
- Jawaharlal Nehru's Wikipedia page edited from govt IP address; Congress seeks PM Modi's reply
- No liberal approach, mediation or compromise in rape cases: Supreme Court
- After Pankaja Munde, now Vinod Tawde accused of irregularities in awarding contracts in Maharashtra