Bengal not filling up technical vacancies: Army
Kolkata: The Indian Army`s technical posts are not being filled up in full from West Bengal for the past few years as not enough young people are applying, a top official said here Monday.
"The general cadre is full. Posts in technical side like communications, electrical, mechanical and medical are not being full from Bengal. This is not good," General Officer Commanding (GOC) Bengal Area Lt. General A.K. Choudhary said here.
"In the last year, 360 people were required for technical posts. We could only fill up about 200 in the whole year. We had shortage of 100, which is not good," Choudhary said.
He, however, said in other states also the army had been facing the same problem.
"The unfilled vacancies (for Bengal) go to other states. I expect that the all authorised vacancies for Bengal should be filled up from here," he explained.
Asked why technical posts are not being filled up from Bengal, he said it might be due to lack of awareness and young people were looking for careers in other fields.
"I think many do not know about it (army`s technical jobs). This is one part. When it comes to the districts which are a little away, they are filling it fully. In Kolkata and around, the posts are not getting filled up fully," he said.
To increase public awareness, the army is sending officials to the colleges to hold talks and give lectures to attract youngsters to its ranks.
The Eastern Command is also holding a two-day mega Military Tattoo and Army equipment display from Feb 2 in the city.
"The display would enhance public awareness about the army and also motivate the youths to join the army," Choudhary added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister