Bengal not filling up technical vacancies: Army
Kolkata: The Indian Army`s technical posts are not being filled up in full from West Bengal for the past few years as not enough young people are applying, a top official said here Monday.
"The general cadre is full. Posts in technical side like communications, electrical, mechanical and medical are not being full from Bengal. This is not good," General Officer Commanding (GOC) Bengal Area Lt. General A.K. Choudhary said here.
"In the last year, 360 people were required for technical posts. We could only fill up about 200 in the whole year. We had shortage of 100, which is not good," Choudhary said.
He, however, said in other states also the army had been facing the same problem.
"The unfilled vacancies (for Bengal) go to other states. I expect that the all authorised vacancies for Bengal should be filled up from here," he explained.
Asked why technical posts are not being filled up from Bengal, he said it might be due to lack of awareness and young people were looking for careers in other fields.
"I think many do not know about it (army`s technical jobs). This is one part. When it comes to the districts which are a little away, they are filling it fully. In Kolkata and around, the posts are not getting filled up fully," he said.
To increase public awareness, the army is sending officials to the colleges to hold talks and give lectures to attract youngsters to its ranks.
The Eastern Command is also holding a two-day mega Military Tattoo and Army equipment display from Feb 2 in the city.
"The display would enhance public awareness about the army and also motivate the youths to join the army," Choudhary added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Zee Media Exclusive chat with 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' cast Kangana, Madhavan
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- CBSE Board 10th Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & Cbseresults.nic class 10th X board exam results 2015 date announced
- LIVE SCORE: 1st Test, Day 2 - England vs New Zealand
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday