Bengal not filling up technical vacancies: Army
Kolkata: The Indian Army`s technical posts are not being filled up in full from West Bengal for the past few years as not enough young people are applying, a top official said here Monday.
"The general cadre is full. Posts in technical side like communications, electrical, mechanical and medical are not being full from Bengal. This is not good," General Officer Commanding (GOC) Bengal Area Lt. General A.K. Choudhary said here.
"In the last year, 360 people were required for technical posts. We could only fill up about 200 in the whole year. We had shortage of 100, which is not good," Choudhary said.
He, however, said in other states also the army had been facing the same problem.
"The unfilled vacancies (for Bengal) go to other states. I expect that the all authorised vacancies for Bengal should be filled up from here," he explained.
Asked why technical posts are not being filled up from Bengal, he said it might be due to lack of awareness and young people were looking for careers in other fields.
"I think many do not know about it (army`s technical jobs). This is one part. When it comes to the districts which are a little away, they are filling it fully. In Kolkata and around, the posts are not getting filled up fully," he said.
To increase public awareness, the army is sending officials to the colleges to hold talks and give lectures to attract youngsters to its ranks.
The Eastern Command is also holding a two-day mega Military Tattoo and Army equipment display from Feb 2 in the city.
"The display would enhance public awareness about the army and also motivate the youths to join the army," Choudhary added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Nitish suspends Cabinet Minister Kushwaha over alleged sting operation
- Watch: PM Modi delivers speech at Mumbai Metro Phase-II inauguration
- Shiv Sena spills ink on ORF chairperson Sudheendra Kulkarni's face
- Panel discussion on the controversial sacking of Asim Ahmed Khan from AAP
- Haryana minister Krishan Bedi mocks Modi's 'Swachh Bharat Abhiyan'
- ISL 2015: Atletico de Kolkata vs Kerala Blasters - Preview
- India planning to buy Russian S-400 Triumf air defence missile systems: Report
- Watch: How smartly this woman steals smartphone, walks away with it
- India vs South Africa: MS Dhoni disappointed about 'gamble' not paying off
- India vs South Africa, 1st ODI: Rohit's century in vain as Proteas snatch 5-run win