Bengal progressing, people won``t have to beg: Mamata
Kolkata: West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee Saturday said nobody would need to "beg and eat" in the state as her government was carrying forward a slew of development projects across all sectors.
She lashed out at the Communist Party of India-Marxist (CPI-M) for having "slept through the last 34 years".
The CPI-M had ruled the state uninterruptedly for 34 years before Banerjee`s Trinamool Congress came to power in 2011.
Banerjee took a jibe at the CPI-M, Congress and the BJP for being "envious" of her government`s progress.
"We will go forward with developmental work and progress... The youth should not fear... No one will have to beg and eat," she said at a public rally at Raidighi in South-24 Parganas district.
The chief minister inaugurated 44 projects, including the Rs.3.5 crore worth Raidighi stadium.
She announced plans to develop Jharkhali, an island in the Sunderban mangroves, as a tourism hub.
"We are soon going to start chopper services to Sunderbans. Jharkhali will be developed as a tourism hub," she said, adding that the first women`s university was coming up in Diamond Harbour.
"Women should not get married at an early age... They should study," she said.
Banerjee said her government has taken up a lot of projects in the last two-and-a-half years since it came to power whereas the CPI-M had failed to do so.
"They were sleeping for the last 34 years and now suddenly they are awake and have started slogan-shouting and conducting meetings.
"The CPI-M, Congress and the BJP are all envious as we progress. They are bristling with envy and there is no cure for envy," she said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Team Yogi Adityanath: List of Yogi's ministers with their portfolios - Check who got what