Bengal ragging death: Principal sent to police custody
Kolkata: The principal of a high school in West Bengal`s North 24-Parganas - arrested in connection with the death of a minor girl student after she was ragged - was Friday remanded to three days` police custody by a court.
Helen Sarkar, principal of Christ Church School in Dum Dum, was arrested Thursday night following angry protests by parents and guardians who blamed her for the death of 10-year-old Oindrila Das.
The Class 5 student died Wednesday a week after she was allegedly locked up inside the school toilet by some of her seniors who demanded money from her.
"She has been booked under several non-bailable sections, including culpable homicide not amounting to murder. She was remanded to three days` police custody by the court," a lawyer said.
Oindrila`s family filed a police complaint accusing Sarkar of extortion and negligence among other offences which led to the death of their daughter.
With angry protestors storming the school and ransacking the principal`s office, Sarkar was forced to step down as the principal and was subsequently arrested.
With their school being indefinitely closed and their principal behind bars, the students of the school are now apprehensive of their future.
The over 10-hour long blockade led to the ransacking of the principal`s office, leaving its computers and important documents destroyed.
"No doubt the death is tragic but what good did the ransacking yield? Registration for the board examinations was on and most of us had submitted our forms. What if the documents have been destroyed," said a student.
Due to Thursday`s ransacking, the ongoing internal exams have been cancelled, which has further increased the anxiety of the students.
"We are unsure of the fate of the papers that we have already appeared for. Moreover, the uncertainty over the school reopening has increased our anxiety. We are now apprehensive whether we will be able to appear for the board exams," said another student.
Even Oindrila`s parents criticised the ransacking and expressed concern over the fate of the students.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why are Muslim women being punished with triple talaq system?
- Why are Muslim women being punished with triple talaq system? - Part II
- Why are Muslim women being punished with triple talaq system? - Part III
- Why are Muslim women being punished with triple talaq system? - Part IV
- Why are Muslim women being punished with triple talaq system? - Part V
- UP CM Akhilesh Yadav non-committal on liquor ban, asks people to drink less
- IPL 9: This is a million times better than any hundred I have scored - AB de Villiers on 79-run knock vs GL
- These workout pictures, video of Karan Patel will make you hit the gym!
- Wanted to do something in English: Jacqueline Fernandez
- LG launches ultralight 14-inch 'Gram PC' laptop in India