Bengal shows the way: Mamata Banerjee
Kolkata: Hitting out at the Centre for giving large advertisements on its achievements, Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee on Saturday claimed that it was the West Bengal government which was carrying out development though lacking funds.
"Who did it? West Bengal? Isn`t it?," Banerjee asked.
Giving the example of polio, she said that the last polio case was detected in the state 3 to 4 years ago after which her state government eradicated it.
"There is no case now from here and that is why India got the polio-free certificate. The credit must go to West Bengal," Banerjee said at the state secretariat, Nabanna launching a slew of development programmes.
"It has shown how to carry forward development work without money. We have created models like fair price medicine shops and diagnostic centres," she said dwelling on the Centre taking away Rs 70,000 crore in interest on loans taken by the previous Left Front government.
Roads would be built in the islands of Sundarbans, a UNESCO World Heritage site, and a bridge would be built over the Bokkhali river within the next two years she said.
She said that the government would pay rural artists Rs 1000 per month besides employing them in various government campaigns.
Banerjee said 500 marketing hubs would be constructed to provide additional livelihood opportunities to 5 lakh families.
Among projects launched by her were 62 drinking water schemes, 27 hostels, 1 school building, 4 krishak bazars, 2 seed testing facilities, SSKM`s intensive therapy unit and patient`s waiting room, a renovated Nazrul Manch, 2 urban housing projects and a flyover in Garden Reach area.
She also declared a state government holiday on March 17 for the Holi festival.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- Amit Shah addresses BJP's mega convention in Delhi
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?