Bengal speaker orders detention for Congress leader
Kolkata: Reputed advocate and former Congress lawmaker Arunava Ghosh was Tuesday slapped with detention for a few hours in the state assembly for making derogatory remarks about Speaker Biman Banerjee.
Ghosh later said he would move the court against the sentence.
Ghosh was summoned to the bar of the house, where he stood as the speaker delivered his ruling sentencing him to detention.
"Anurava Ghosh has deliberately committed gross breach of privilege and contempt of house by casting deep aspersions on the character and impartiality of the speaker in discharge of his duties in running the house," Banerjee said, citing the report of the Committee of Privileges submitted to the house Monday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- Amit Shah addresses BJP's mega convention in Delhi
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?