Bengal suggests alternative panchayat poll date
Kolkata: After SEC raised objection over the choice of July 10 as the date for third phase of Panchayat polls, which coincides with Ratha Yatra festival and start of holy Ramzan month, the West Bengal government on Sunday suggested an alternative date of July 9.
State Panchayat minister Subrata Mukherjee said the state government had decided July 9 as the alternative date for the 3rd phase of the poll.
"Responding to the letter from the SEC, we have decided July 9 to be the alternative date. The formal notification will be made soon by the state government," said Mukherjee.
However, State Election Commission secretary Tapas Roy said the alternative date was yet to be communicated to them by the state government.
"The alternative date for the 3rd phase panchayat poll should come in the form of notification. We are yet to receive it," Roy said.
He said SEC officials today discussed the arrangement and formalities of the poll with the DMs and SPs of eight south Bengal districts and review of law and order in the presence of State Election Commissioner Mira Pandey.
"The DMs and SPs of Purulia, Bankura, Birbhum, East Midnapore, West Midnapore, Hooghly, Burdwan and South 24-Parganas districts were present in the meeting today. On Saturday, we held a meeting with the DMs and SPs of several other districts," Roy said.
The SEC secretary had on Saturday asked the state government in a letter to change the date of the third phase poll after opposition political parties in an all-party meeting raised objection over the choice of July 10.
The state government had earlier suggested July 2, 6 and 10 as the dates for the three-phase election.
The Calcutta High Court on May 14 had directed that the Panchayat election be held in three phases and the dates be announced by the state in consultation with the commission.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Fiji: Floating island restaurant in middle of ocean
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey