Bengal taking steps following Maoist regrouping alert
Kolkata: Alerted by intelligence agencies on regrouping of Maoist ultras in Jangalmahal and neighbouring Saranda forest in Odisha, the West Bengal government has initiated stringent steps to forestall any threat.
"About 40 to 45 Maoist ultras under the leadership of Tara, wife of Maoist leader Bikash, are regrouping at an undisclosed location in Saranda forest in Odisha to renew attack in West Bengal," state police sources said quoting the intelligence input.
The sources said that several political figures like Srikanta Mahato and Mrigen Maiti, both Trinamool Congress MLAs in Jangalmahal, had been chosen as targets by the Maoists.
"Security to these leaders have been tightened and measures initiated to strengthen the security net at the Jangalmahal area," the sources said.
The state government has received six companies (around 600 personnel) of central para-military forces in addition to the existing 39 companies (around 3,900 personnel) of such central forces to intensify vigil at Jangalmahal following the intelligence alert, state Home Department sources said.
Following an MHA caution on possible Maoist threat against Mamata Banerjee, the security of the chief minister has also been beefed up.
Several other VVIPs have also been brought under the special security net, while special vigil around vital installations in the state had been arranged, the sources said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan