Bengal wants CBI to take over Madan Tamang murder probe
Kolkata: The West Bengal government wants
to hand over the probe into the murder of All India Gorkha
League leader Madan Tamang to CBI in view of the failure by
state agencies to make any breakthrough in the case.
According to Home Department sources, the state
government had already sounded out the CBI, though the
investigative agency was yet to respond.
CID, which had been earlier assigned to probe the
murder of the popular Gorkha leader, though filed the charge
sheet, many things still remained to be investigated, state
home department sources said on Monday.
For one thing, they pointed out, the main accused
Nicole Tamang`s disappearance from custody still remained to
ADG (Law and Order) Surajit Kar Purakayastha said that
only 7 or 8 persons were arrested in the case while several
others were absconding.
Madan Tamang was killed on May 21 by unknown
assailants when he was getting ready to address a rally in
Since it was suspected that some of those involved in
Tamang`s killing had fled and were hiding in Nepal or Bhutan,
the state police sought the help of Interpol to apprehend the
killers of Tamang.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Admissions 2015: Know India's best ranking Universities
- Yasin Bhatkal calls wife from Hyderabad jail, talks of 'help from Damascus'
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- Five guerrillas, one soldier killed near LoC
- 3rd Test, Day 2: Sri Lanka rattle Pakistan in decider
- Indian Mujahideen chief Yasin Bhatkal indicates Islamic State will help him get out of jail soon
- Missing UK schoolgirls seen carrying Kalashnikov rifle in ISIS's Raqqa?