Bengal wants CBI to take over Madan Tamang murder probe
Kolkata: The West Bengal government wants
to hand over the probe into the murder of All India Gorkha
League leader Madan Tamang to CBI in view of the failure by
state agencies to make any breakthrough in the case.
According to Home Department sources, the state
government had already sounded out the CBI, though the
investigative agency was yet to respond.
CID, which had been earlier assigned to probe the
murder of the popular Gorkha leader, though filed the charge
sheet, many things still remained to be investigated, state
home department sources said on Monday.
For one thing, they pointed out, the main accused
Nicole Tamang`s disappearance from custody still remained to
ADG (Law and Order) Surajit Kar Purakayastha said that
only 7 or 8 persons were arrested in the case while several
others were absconding.
Madan Tamang was killed on May 21 by unknown
assailants when he was getting ready to address a rally in
Since it was suspected that some of those involved in
Tamang`s killing had fled and were hiding in Nepal or Bhutan,
the state police sought the help of Interpol to apprehend the
killers of Tamang.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath reviews Gomti riverfront work
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP