Bengal woman alleges harassment by cop
Kolkata: A divorced woman has approached West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee, besides rights bodies, alleging that a police officer blackmailed her after she rejected his "advances" and implicated her male friend in a case.
The woman, a resident of Jiaganj in Murshidabad district, in her identical complaints to Banerjee as well as the state rights and women`s panels, alleged that the police officer had been repeatedly "SMSing and calling her and threatening her with dire consequences" after she "rejected his advances".
The officer, whose name is being withheld, rubbished the allegations.
The complainant accused the officer, an additional superintendent of police, of "intentionally arresting her male friend on false charges to avenge her refusal".
"This officer had earlier helped me in getting divorce. Later, he started SMSing and calling me, inviting me to visit his bungalow. After I refused, he has been threatening and blackmailing me. His subordinates Saturday arrested my friend on false charges," the woman said.
She alleged that she and her friend were also assaulted by policemen who had come to arrest her friend.
Rubbishing the allegations, the police officer said the man was arrested in connection with an old vehicle theft case.
"I have not sent her any SMS or made calls to her. As regards the arrest, the man was arrested in connection with a pending case of motor vehicle theft in which the woman has also been named," said the officer.
The woman has also claimed inaction by the state government.
"I wrote to the CM, women`s commission, human rights commission as well as top police officers of the district (Murshidabad) Aug 13, but no action has been taken yet. I fear for my life now," added the woman.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- I believe this election will punish the old govts that spoiled Bihar, says PM Modi
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Radhe Maa dances at casino in London, claims video
- Why CBI is worried about Indian men’s lust for violent porn
- Lalu Prasad Yadav challenges Narendra Modi over 'shaitan' comment, demands PM's apology
- Ghulam Ali concert row: Subramanian Swamy hits back at Shiv Sena's critics