Bengal woman alleges harassment by cop
Kolkata: A divorced woman has approached West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee, besides rights bodies, alleging that a police officer blackmailed her after she rejected his "advances" and implicated her male friend in a case.
The woman, a resident of Jiaganj in Murshidabad district, in her identical complaints to Banerjee as well as the state rights and women`s panels, alleged that the police officer had been repeatedly "SMSing and calling her and threatening her with dire consequences" after she "rejected his advances".
The officer, whose name is being withheld, rubbished the allegations.
The complainant accused the officer, an additional superintendent of police, of "intentionally arresting her male friend on false charges to avenge her refusal".
"This officer had earlier helped me in getting divorce. Later, he started SMSing and calling me, inviting me to visit his bungalow. After I refused, he has been threatening and blackmailing me. His subordinates Saturday arrested my friend on false charges," the woman said.
She alleged that she and her friend were also assaulted by policemen who had come to arrest her friend.
Rubbishing the allegations, the police officer said the man was arrested in connection with an old vehicle theft case.
"I have not sent her any SMS or made calls to her. As regards the arrest, the man was arrested in connection with a pending case of motor vehicle theft in which the woman has also been named," said the officer.
The woman has also claimed inaction by the state government.
"I wrote to the CM, women`s commission, human rights commission as well as top police officers of the district (Murshidabad) Aug 13, but no action has been taken yet. I fear for my life now," added the woman.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof