`Bengal`s law and order better than many states`
Kolkata: Faced with an attack by opposition parties on West Bengal`s law and order situation, a state minister today asserted that it was much better than what existed in many states.
"West Bengal`s law and order situation is much better than many other states and there is nothing to worry as the government takes steps immediately after a crime is committed," Panchayat Minister Subrata Mukherjee said.
The minister claimed that it was the opposition parties and a section of the media that were spreading false information on the deterioration in law and order.
He went on to claim, "Many more incidents of crime had taken place during the erstwhile Left Front government which were hardly recorded. But our government allows everybody, irrespective of political colours to record their allegations."
As a result, people were more aware now of the present situation, he said.
Meanwhile, opposition leader and CPI-M leader Suryakanta Mishra countered Mukherjee`s claim and alleged that the crime graph was rising in the city.
"If he (Mukherjee) is right, why then is the city police commissioner asking women to carry chilli powder to thwart attempts on them by hoodlums?" Mishra asked.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists?
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists? - Part II
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists? - Part III
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists? - Part IV
- Why are schools insensitive over complexities of poor families?
- Assam floods: CM Sarbananda Sonowal sends ministers to districts
- I'll be expected to deliver bigger film after 'Sultan': Ali Abbas Zafar
- I can never be disciplined like Aamir, says Shah Rukh Khan
- Sensex adds to gains for 2nd day, Nifty hits 15-month high
- Narsingh Yadav doping row: NADA hearing concludes, judgement either on Saturday or Monday