Big churning in Bengal politics, about 40,000 TMC, Congress, CMP workers join BJP
Zee Media Bureau/Ritesh K Srivastava
Kolkata: In yet another of a big churning in the West Bengal politics, about 40,000 political activists in Jangalmahal associated with various parties including Trinamool Congress, Congress and CPM, have joined the BJP, which is in power at the Centre.
The development was confirmed on Monday by BJP state unit chief Rahul Sinha, who held a series of meetings with the representatives of various parties in Lodhashuli, Gopiballavpur, Nayagram and Mohanpur in Jangalmahal area on Sunday and facilitated their entry in his party.
Among the prominent ones who had switched their loyalties to the BJP are Antara Bhattacharjee from CPM who was a West Midnapore zilla sabhadhipati when a peak panchayat physique in a district was underneath control of a Marxists.
The zilla parishad was ruled by a CPM faction in 2013, when Trinamool Congress won elections. Bhattacharjee’s residence in Pingla was allegedly attacked by the Trinamool Congress activists during 2013 panchayat polls.
Another heavyweight to have joined BJP along with his supporters is Ashok Senapati from the Trinamool Congress.
Some activists from Jharkhand Party also joined BJP during Sinha’s revisit to a area that was once a Maoist stronghold. “This was my initial revisit to Jangalmahal after the Lok Sabha polls and we have got extensive response from thousands of activists who were really willing to join us. However, we are not welcoming everybody into the party and verifying their credentials,” Sinha said.
Meanwhile, a BJP delegation from Delhi led by MP Balbir Punj visited Ilambazar in Birbhum district on Sunday and met the family members of Rahim Sheikh, a minority leader of party who was allegedly murdered by Trinamool activists on June 7.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BCCI announces Team India squad for Bangladesh tour
- Sudha Shivpuri aka 'Baa' of 'Kyuki Saas Bhi Kabhi Bahu Thi' dies
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- Kejriwal accuses Centre of trying to rule Delhi through LG
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- Expect that Rahul will be Congress president in 2015: Jairam Ramesh
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- IPL 2015: Rajasthan Royals vs Royal Challengers Bangalore - As it happened...
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'
- Bihar Intermediate Result 2015 declared