Bill to grant university status to Presidency College
Kolkata: The Presidency University Bill,
2009, aimed at upgrading the 192-year-old Presidency College,
from where Rabindranath Tagore to the who`s who of Bengal
studied, to a unitary varsity, was introduced in the West
Bengal assembly today and referred to the standing committee.
After Higher Education Minister Sudarshan Roy Chowdhury
introduced the bill in the House, Speaker Hasim Abdul Halim
said it was referred to the assembly standing committee.
The standing committee would present its report on the
bill by the end of the next session of the House, Abdul Halim
The governing body of Presidency College at its meeting
on November three had unanimously resolved that in the present
higher education scenario, the institution should be upgraded
to a unitary university.
The bill said that it has been found to be expedient to
confer the status of university on the government college with
a rich heritage to enable it to function more efficiently as a
teaching, training and research centre in various branches of
Similarly, the Sidho-Kano-Birsa University Bill, 2009 to
provide for the formation of a university was also introduced
and referred to the standing committee.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- After prayers at Jagannath Temple, PM Narendra Modi inaugurates IOCL project at Paradip refinery