Bill to grant university status to Presidency College
Kolkata: The Presidency University Bill,
2009, aimed at upgrading the 192-year-old Presidency College,
from where Rabindranath Tagore to the who`s who of Bengal
studied, to a unitary varsity, was introduced in the West
Bengal assembly today and referred to the standing committee.
After Higher Education Minister Sudarshan Roy Chowdhury
introduced the bill in the House, Speaker Hasim Abdul Halim
said it was referred to the assembly standing committee.
The standing committee would present its report on the
bill by the end of the next session of the House, Abdul Halim
The governing body of Presidency College at its meeting
on November three had unanimously resolved that in the present
higher education scenario, the institution should be upgraded
to a unitary university.
The bill said that it has been found to be expedient to
confer the status of university on the government college with
a rich heritage to enable it to function more efficiently as a
teaching, training and research centre in various branches of
Similarly, the Sidho-Kano-Birsa University Bill, 2009 to
provide for the formation of a university was also introduced
and referred to the standing committee.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday