Bimal Gurung resigns from GTA to press for Gorkhal
Darjeeling: Gorkha Territorial Administration chief executive officer Bimal Gurung resigned from the post on Tuesday to press for a separate Gorkhaland.
His resignation followed Congress and the UPA coalition unanimously endorsing creation of a separate Telangana state carved out of Andhra Pradesh.
Sources in Gorkha Janamukti Morcha, which Gurung heads, said he will fax his resignation to the Centre and West Bengal government.
Details of the letter was, however, not known.
GJM sources said students of boarding schools in the Darjeeling hills and tourists have been asked to evacuate in the next three days.
Today was the second day of the three-day bandh by GJM in support of its demand and Gurung had yesterday threatened that the three-day strike would be extended into an indefinite one to press for Gorkhaland in case statehood was conferred on Telengana.
A GJM supporter had tried to immolate himself at Dambarchowk in the heart of Kalimpong town in support of the demand earlier in the day. The fire was doused by bystanders and he was rushed to the hospital with 90 per cent burns.
The bandh disrupted normal life in the Darjeeling hills with all shops, markets, school, colleges, government offices, banks and post offices closed as GJM supporters gathered at Chowkbazar in Darjeeling as also in the two other hill subdivisions of Kurseong and Kalimpong.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 11-year old Odisha boy to get football training at Bayern Munich in Germany
- China warns India against deploying BrahMos cruise missile in Arunachal Pradesh
- One killed in TV channel office attack in Karachi
- Gujarat: Journalist working for local daily found dead in his Junagadh office
- Watch: How floods throw normal life out of gear across country
- Know what Ranveer Singh has to say about Akshay Kumar
- A love story for Akshay Kumar in toilet? Details inside
- Wondering if Ranveer Singh is on board Deepika Padukone’s ‘Padmavati’? Details inside
- Saif Ali Khan finds Kareena Kapoor very sexy in 'Yeh Mera Dil' song
- Donald Trump demands special prosecutor to probe Hillary Clinton allegations