Binayak Sen denied permission to attend seminar
Kalyani: Rights activist Binayak Sen on Sunday claimed that he had to cancel his visit to Kathmandu at the last moment following a Chattisgarh court directive.
Sen was scheduled to visit Nepal to attend an international seminar organised by the United Nations.
The seminar `Health Care in Conflict areas` was scheduled to take place on July 6 and 7 and he was prepared to catch a flight to the Nepalese capital on July 5 from Delhi.
Binayak Sen, who is also a physician, said, "While I was in Delhi Airport to avail a flight for Kathmandu, my advocate S K Farhan informed me that the court had denied permission to go to Nepal as it assumed that my appearance in Nepal will be harmful for the state. I did not anticipate that the permission would be denied."
Anand Grover, Senior Advocate in Supreme Court-cum UN`s Special Repertoire on the `Right to Health on Conflict areas` had invited Binayak Sen on behalf of UN to participate in the international seminar in Nepal.
Grover too was in Delhi Air Port on July 5 as both were scheduled to go to Nepal by the same flight, Sen said.
Sen, now on his way to Kalyani from Kolkata, said he had applied for the permission to attend the seminar to Raipur Court towards the end of June, 2013.
He said," My Advocate had applied in Raipur Court for permission after completion of all formalities, but I did not anticipate to be denied."
Sen`s mother Anasua Sen said she was too disappointed for the denial of permission.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why