Birbhum clash has nothing to do with land acquisition
Kolkata: Saying she was "sorry" for the police-villagers clash at Loba village in Birbhum district, West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee Wednesday denied it had anything to do with land acquisition and said the police had shown patience in dealing with the situation.
Giving her first reaction on yesterday` clash in which 27 policemen and six villagers were injured in a pitched battle, Banerjee told reporters, "whatever has happened there, should not have happened. I am sorry for it".
However, she said the villagers, who had attacked a police team with bows, arrows and bombs when it came to recover an earth-moving machine seized by them, were not at fault, and claimed they had been instigated by some people.
"An administrative inquiry has been ordered and the Birbhum Superintendent of Police has been asked to go on leave. Whoever is found guilty, will be punished," she said.
"I am with the villagers and we will give protection to them. Industry minister Partha Chatterjee has been sent there to get information regarding the incident. The incident has nothing to do with land acquisition. The government`s policy is not to do anything with force. False propaganda is being spread," Banerjee said.
She said the condition of three policemen was very serious and that the police had shown restraint and did not over-react. There was no firing by the police, she insisted.
Leader of the Opposition Surjya Kanta Mishra claimed yesterday that the police had opened fire, while the Congress demanded a CBI probe into the incident.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced