Birbhum gang-rape: Accused sent to judicial custody, Bengal women`s panel orders probe
Zee Media Bureau
Kolkata: The West Bengal Commission for Women on Thursday ordered a probe into the alleged gang-rape of a tribal woman by a group of people at the behest of village panchayat in Birbhum district in West Bengal.
Taking suo motu cognizance of the horrific incident, the panel has demanded harshest punishment for the perpetrators.
The reaction from the West Bengal women`s panel came shortly after it was reported that a twenty-year-old tribal woman was allegedly gang-raped in the Birbhum district by at least twelve men, reportedly, on the orders of a village kangaroo court that decided to punish her for having a relationship with a boy from a different community.
The shameful incident took place in Subalpur village in the Birbhum disrict, located around 150 kms away from the state capital Kolkata, on Monday night.
News agency PTI reported that the victim`s family was first asked to pay a `jorimana` (fine money of Rs 2000). However, when the family expressed its inability to pay the fine, the village headman or "morol" allegedly ordered the gang-rape of the woman.
The young tribal woman later lodged a First Information Report at the Labhpur Police Station from where she was taken for treatment to a hospital in Suri, the district headquarter.
The woman is believed to be in a critical condition.
The victim has accused 13 people in her FIR and the local police have arrested all of them in connection with the case. All accused have also been sent to 14 days custody by a local court.
This incident comes nearly four years after a young tribal girl was paraded naked in the same district for her alleged affair with a boy from a different community, sparking a massive outrage in the state.
With PTI inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy