Birbhum gang-rape case: Additional district judge visits crime spot
Suri/Kolkata: Acting on the directions of the Supreme Court, the additional district judge of Suri on Monday visited the Birbhum gang-rape victim in hospital and also the crime spot in Subolpur village.
The Supreme Court, which had taken suo motu cognisance of the shocking gang-rape of the 20-year-old tribal girl on January 21, had directed the district judge, Suri to visit the spot and place a report with it within a week.
Since district judge Subhra Ghosh was on leave, the additional judge Subhrodip Mitra visited the victim.
The girl was gang-raped on the orders of a kangaroo court after she expressed her inability to pay a fine for being in love with a man from a different community.
The additional district judge along with Chief Judicial Magistrate Rajesh Chakraborty met the victim at the hospital for 45 to 50 minutes.
A five-member Special Investigative Team (SIT) set up to investigate the gang-rape also visited the place where the crime took place.
The SIT, which included the Investigating Officer in the case would report to the Superintendent of the Police in the district, IG (Western Range) Siddhinath Gupta said.
Gupta told PTI that the police recorded the eye-witness accounts of the victim`s paramour Sheikh Khalek and his elder brother, Dipu Seth who had paid the fine for Khalek before freeing him from the clutches of the kangaroo court.
Gupta along with DIG (Burdwan Range) LN Meena and District Magistrate Jagdish Prasad Meena also visited the hospital where the girl was admitted.
The 13 people accused of the gang-rape have been remanded to police custody for 13 days since January 24.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi