Birbhum gang-rape case: Women politicos ask West Bengal CM to take stern action
New Delhi: Women politicos on Thursday condemned the alleged gang-rape of a tribal woman in West Bengal`s Birbhum district, and appealed to the state chief minister to take stern action against the culprits.
President of Women Congress Shobha Oza said that if such brutal acts are not restricted, women will never feel safe in this country.
"It is very unfortunate that such incidents happen at the behest of Khap Panchayat in West Bengal. The CM should act immediately and take action against all the culprits. Such incidents should not take place. Women will never feel safe otherwise in this country," she said.
Bharatiya Janata Party ( BJP) leader Najma Heptulla, echoing similar sentiments, said that India`s image is deteriorating due to incidents like these that happen not only with Indian women but also with foreign nationals.
"It is very unfortunate that such incidents are happening. And the culprits should be given maximum punishment as per law. I am sure that the West Bengal Chief Minister would definitely take action in this matter. The concerned state officials and the police must look into these matters seriously," she said.
A 20-year-old tribal woman was allegedly gang-raped on Monday night on the order of the village court presided by village head, who decided to punish the girl for having an affair with a boy from a different community.
She was admitted to the Lavpur primary health centre but was later transferred to Siuri hospital.
The parents of the victim filed a complaint with the Lavpur police station, and so far five people have been arrested.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Know how much sex is enough for happiness
- Swaragini: Ragini gets caught in her own trap; Swara slaps her
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Shah Rukh Khan tweets about new ‘Dilwale’ song
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed