Birbhum gang-rape case: Women politicos ask West Bengal CM to take stern action
New Delhi: Women politicos on Thursday condemned the alleged gang-rape of a tribal woman in West Bengal`s Birbhum district, and appealed to the state chief minister to take stern action against the culprits.
President of Women Congress Shobha Oza said that if such brutal acts are not restricted, women will never feel safe in this country.
"It is very unfortunate that such incidents happen at the behest of Khap Panchayat in West Bengal. The CM should act immediately and take action against all the culprits. Such incidents should not take place. Women will never feel safe otherwise in this country," she said.
Bharatiya Janata Party ( BJP) leader Najma Heptulla, echoing similar sentiments, said that India`s image is deteriorating due to incidents like these that happen not only with Indian women but also with foreign nationals.
"It is very unfortunate that such incidents are happening. And the culprits should be given maximum punishment as per law. I am sure that the West Bengal Chief Minister would definitely take action in this matter. The concerned state officials and the police must look into these matters seriously," she said.
A 20-year-old tribal woman was allegedly gang-raped on Monday night on the order of the village court presided by village head, who decided to punish the girl for having an affair with a boy from a different community.
She was admitted to the Lavpur primary health centre but was later transferred to Siuri hospital.
The parents of the victim filed a complaint with the Lavpur police station, and so far five people have been arrested.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- Missing girl from Ghaziabad, Dipti Sarna returns; reunited with family
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Fitoor movie review: Tabu overpowers, Katrina Kaif, Aditya Roy Kapur leave a lasting impact!
- Was abducted, blindfolded for four hours; Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna narrates her ordeal
- VIDEO: Shikhar Dhawan reveals impact of Yuvraj Singh in India dressing room
- Kidnappers treated me well, gave me money to reach home: Snapdeal executive Dipti Sarna's 36-hour ordeal