Birbhum gang-rape: Manish Tewari seeks strictest punishment for accused
New Delhi: Terming as absolutely "inhuman and completely outrageous" the gang-rape of a tribal woman in West Bengal, Union Minister Manish Tewari on Thursday asked the state government to ensure "strictest punishment" to the culprits.
"In a democratic country, based upon the Rule of Law, no vigilantism can be permitted. West Bengal government must immediately arrest the accused and stringent punishment must be ensured," the Information and Broadcasting Minister said here.
The 20-year-old woman was gang-raped at Labhpur in Birbhum district by 13 persons as they were apparently against her affair with a man from a different community.
All the 13 accused have been arrested.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Cabinet meeting on 7th Pay Commission may approve higher salaries for govt employees
- Cabinet meeting on 7th Pay Commission may approve higher salaries for govt employees - Part II
- Monsoon havoc: Delhi lacks proper drainage system
- SC rejects plea seeking ban on WhatsApp messaging app
- 7th Pay Commission: Cabinet approves pay hike for govt employees