Birbhum gang-rape: Women activists demand action against perpetrators
New Delhi: All India Democratic Women`s Association ( AIDWA) general secretary Jagmati Sangwan on Thursday expressed concern after a tribal woman was allegedly gang-raped in West Bengal`s Birbhum district, and said that stern action must be taken against all those who were part of the khap panchayat.
She further said that it is shameful for the state and the entire nation that such incidents are happening, and appealed to the people to raise their voice against such brutal acts against women.
"This is a very brutal incident, and it is a matter of concern. Even the CM in West Bengal is a woman. But instead of taking a right position, the Chief Minister tried to blame it on political rivalry. There must be action taken against all those who were in this khap panchayat," she said.
Women rights activist Annie Raja said that it is the responsibility of the chief minister of the state to ensure safety of women.
"It is a saddening incident. Such incidents must be condemned. Be a tribal any other community, such crimes against women must be restricted. All the parties must oppose such anti-social organizations. Irrespective of whether the Chief Minister is a woman or man, it must be their duty to protect women," she added.
A 20-year-old tribal woman was allegedly gang-raped on Monday night on the order of the village court presided by village head, who decided to punish the girl for having an affair with a boy from a different community.
She was admitted to the Lavpur primary health centre but was later transferred to Siuri hospital.
The parents of the victim filed a complaint with the Lavpur police station, and so far five people have been arrested.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Panel discussion on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's hanging
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi