Bird flu in Nadia, culling begins
Krishnagar: Culling of birds began
on Tuesday at Tehatta 1 block in Nadia district after confirmation
of the outbreak of Avian Influenza, popularly known as bird
Symptomns of Avian Influenza were initially observed
among hens in 13 villages under 5 Gram Panchayat areas of
Tehatta 1 block about 10 days back.
The samples of the birds were collected and sent to High
Security Animal Disease Laboratory (HSADL) Bhopal for tests.
"The report arrived at around 6.30 pm yesterday
confirming bird flu. We decided to start culling and it was
initiated today," Nure Alam Chowdhury, Animal Resource
Department Minister told a press conference after visiting the
affected block here today.
Twenty teams comprising 420 persons were deployed in the
process of culling scheduled in 5 gram panchayat areas. After
culling, the dead birds will be buried at Lalbazar, a place
near Indo-Bangladesh border. Three big holes were dug up for
the disposal of the culled birds here, he said.
Tehatta SDO Achinta Mondal said "we hope to cull about
5000 birds today and the culling work will go on upto 7 pm and
the culled birds will be buried".
"In addition to culling, surveillance will go on within
10km of the affected area excluding three km of the foci of
the infection", the minister said.
The minister arrived at Tehatta today morning and
visited some of the affected places.
Meanwhile the Indo-Bangla border has also been sealed,
the minister said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ceasefire violations by Pak: Should India carry out surgical strike part-II?
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, asked to leave India
- Panel discussion on the need of Pakistan's ambassador in India
- Intelligence agencies warn of firing by Pakistan along LoC, international border
- Meet Lynlee Hope - Texas baby who was 'born' twice!
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Diwali 2016: Dhanteras Puja timings, Tithi and Vidhi
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- UPA govt thought of attacking Lashkar HQ, training camps after 26/11 strike, claims ex-NSA Shivshankar Menon