Bird flu in Nadia, culling begins
Krishnagar: Culling of birds began
on Tuesday at Tehatta 1 block in Nadia district after confirmation
of the outbreak of Avian Influenza, popularly known as bird
Symptomns of Avian Influenza were initially observed
among hens in 13 villages under 5 Gram Panchayat areas of
Tehatta 1 block about 10 days back.
The samples of the birds were collected and sent to High
Security Animal Disease Laboratory (HSADL) Bhopal for tests.
"The report arrived at around 6.30 pm yesterday
confirming bird flu. We decided to start culling and it was
initiated today," Nure Alam Chowdhury, Animal Resource
Department Minister told a press conference after visiting the
affected block here today.
Twenty teams comprising 420 persons were deployed in the
process of culling scheduled in 5 gram panchayat areas. After
culling, the dead birds will be buried at Lalbazar, a place
near Indo-Bangladesh border. Three big holes were dug up for
the disposal of the culled birds here, he said.
Tehatta SDO Achinta Mondal said "we hope to cull about
5000 birds today and the culling work will go on upto 7 pm and
the culled birds will be buried".
"In addition to culling, surveillance will go on within
10km of the affected area excluding three km of the foci of
the infection", the minister said.
The minister arrived at Tehatta today morning and
visited some of the affected places.
Meanwhile the Indo-Bangla border has also been sealed,
the minister said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert