Bird flu in Nadia, culling begins
Krishnagar: Culling of birds began
on Tuesday at Tehatta 1 block in Nadia district after confirmation
of the outbreak of Avian Influenza, popularly known as bird
Symptomns of Avian Influenza were initially observed
among hens in 13 villages under 5 Gram Panchayat areas of
Tehatta 1 block about 10 days back.
The samples of the birds were collected and sent to High
Security Animal Disease Laboratory (HSADL) Bhopal for tests.
"The report arrived at around 6.30 pm yesterday
confirming bird flu. We decided to start culling and it was
initiated today," Nure Alam Chowdhury, Animal Resource
Department Minister told a press conference after visiting the
affected block here today.
Twenty teams comprising 420 persons were deployed in the
process of culling scheduled in 5 gram panchayat areas. After
culling, the dead birds will be buried at Lalbazar, a place
near Indo-Bangladesh border. Three big holes were dug up for
the disposal of the culled birds here, he said.
Tehatta SDO Achinta Mondal said "we hope to cull about
5000 birds today and the culling work will go on upto 7 pm and
the culled birds will be buried".
"In addition to culling, surveillance will go on within
10km of the affected area excluding three km of the foci of
the infection", the minister said.
The minister arrived at Tehatta today morning and
visited some of the affected places.
Meanwhile the Indo-Bangla border has also been sealed,
the minister said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally - Part II
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally - Part III
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally - Part IV
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally - Part V
- Speculation abounds over new Taliban chief`s leaked photo
- Watch video: This is just not the way this cat's humans expected it to behave on seeing a rat!
- There are 'no good or bad terrorists': Pranab Mukherjee tells Xi Jinping
- When Narendra Modi took oath of office as 15th PM of India on May 26, 2014 - Watch video
- 'Modi-mukt Bharat' after 2019 LoK Sabha polls: Congress leader CP Joshi