Bitta demands CBI inquiry into train disaster
Midnapore: All-India Anti-Terrorist
Front chief M S Bitta today sought a CBI inquiry into the
Jnaneswari Express disaster, claiming that the CID was
incapable of handling the case and announced a cash reward for
anyone who gave evidence against perpetrators of such
"The Central government should instruct CBI to take up
the case and submit its report within a month," Bitta, told
Claiming that the CID, which has been entrusted to
investigate the derailment by the West Bengal government, was
incapable of the task, Bitta said, "The state CID cannot
succeed as the case is too big to be handled by it."
Bitta, who met the family members of those killed and
injured said, "It is the responsibility of the state
government to provide security to trains passing through its
territory, but it has failed to do so."
He announced a reward of Rs 5 lakh to anyone who gave
evidence against the perpetrators of train derailments.
"The families of the victims should be treated at par
with soldiers who die on the battle front. The state
government and the Centre should contribute Rs 15 lakh each
and the Railways Rs 5 lakh," he said.
He suggested using the services of experienced police
officers such as K P S Gill and Kiran Bedi be taken to handle
Bitta said he would submit a report on the rail disaster
to the Prime Minister, Railway Minister, and the Union Home
and Law ministers.
The train derailment that took place in the wee hours
Friday, suspected to be the handiwork of Maoists, claimed 148
lives and injured about 190 passengers.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31