Bitta demands CBI inquiry into train disaster
Midnapore: All-India Anti-Terrorist
Front chief M S Bitta today sought a CBI inquiry into the
Jnaneswari Express disaster, claiming that the CID was
incapable of handling the case and announced a cash reward for
anyone who gave evidence against perpetrators of such
"The Central government should instruct CBI to take up
the case and submit its report within a month," Bitta, told
Claiming that the CID, which has been entrusted to
investigate the derailment by the West Bengal government, was
incapable of the task, Bitta said, "The state CID cannot
succeed as the case is too big to be handled by it."
Bitta, who met the family members of those killed and
injured said, "It is the responsibility of the state
government to provide security to trains passing through its
territory, but it has failed to do so."
He announced a reward of Rs 5 lakh to anyone who gave
evidence against the perpetrators of train derailments.
"The families of the victims should be treated at par
with soldiers who die on the battle front. The state
government and the Centre should contribute Rs 15 lakh each
and the Railways Rs 5 lakh," he said.
He suggested using the services of experienced police
officers such as K P S Gill and Kiran Bedi be taken to handle
Bitta said he would submit a report on the rail disaster
to the Prime Minister, Railway Minister, and the Union Home
and Law ministers.
The train derailment that took place in the wee hours
Friday, suspected to be the handiwork of Maoists, claimed 148
lives and injured about 190 passengers.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Fresh plea in SC against triple talaq system
- Consumers will be compensated for unscheduled power cuts: Delhi CM Kejriwal
- Shocking! Man dies performing stunt in moving train in Mumbai
- China planning to stretch its Nepal rail link to Bihar: Report
- National child helpline number '1098' now launched in 25 languages!
- JeM planning Pathankot-II with support from Pakistan's ISI, IM, conducting recce of Indian cities: Military intel
- Arijit Singh writes open letter to Salman Khan apologising and requesting him to retain ‘Sultan’ song – Here’s why
- Akshay Kumar with 'Housefull3' gang set to sizzle in saddi Dilli—See selfie!
- Megresults.nic.in & mbose.in HSSLC Results 2016: Meghalaya Board Tura Class 12th Arts exam results 2016 to be announced shortly
- Mbose.in 10th SSLC Results 2016: Megresults.nic.in Meghalaya Board SSLC Class 10th exam results 2016 to be announced shortly