BJP asks EC to allow technical check of EVMs
Nabarangpur: The BJP has accused
the ruling BJD in Odisha of plotting to win Umerkote by-polls
by manipulating the EVMs and urged the Election Commission to
allow checking of machines by technical persons of contestant
"We have sent a letter to the EC for allowing
authorised technical persons of political parties to check the
voting machines before these are dispatched to booths," BJP
state Vice-President Ashok Sahu told reporters here.
"Our apprehensions have become stronger after the
assertion of Revenue Minister Surya Narayan Patro that BJD
would win Umerkote by-poll by 19,063 votes. How could Patro
come to this figure," Sahu asked.
Stating that the saffron party had information that
EVMs had been brought from Malkangiri district, Sahu said "we
have now urged the EC to bring the EVMs from outside the state
for the by-election."
Sahu claimed that in the last general elections in
2009, a senior BJD leader had claimed the party would get more
than 100 seats "but no one believed him."
"But it so happened subsequently and even some of the
BJD candidates were surprised by the lead margins," and that
is why the assertion of Patro raised suspicion among other
contestant parties, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof