BJP asks EC to allow technical check of EVMs
Nabarangpur: The BJP has accused
the ruling BJD in Odisha of plotting to win Umerkote by-polls
by manipulating the EVMs and urged the Election Commission to
allow checking of machines by technical persons of contestant
"We have sent a letter to the EC for allowing
authorised technical persons of political parties to check the
voting machines before these are dispatched to booths," BJP
state Vice-President Ashok Sahu told reporters here.
"Our apprehensions have become stronger after the
assertion of Revenue Minister Surya Narayan Patro that BJD
would win Umerkote by-poll by 19,063 votes. How could Patro
come to this figure," Sahu asked.
Stating that the saffron party had information that
EVMs had been brought from Malkangiri district, Sahu said "we
have now urged the EC to bring the EVMs from outside the state
for the by-election."
Sahu claimed that in the last general elections in
2009, a senior BJD leader had claimed the party would get more
than 100 seats "but no one believed him."
"But it so happened subsequently and even some of the
BJD candidates were surprised by the lead margins," and that
is why the assertion of Patro raised suspicion among other
contestant parties, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened