BJP criticises Trinamool for opposing bandh call
Kolkata: The BJP on Wednesday criticised Trinamool Congress for opposing the party-sponsored 12-hour `Bengal bandh` on Thursday called to protest steep hike in petrol price and charged it with adopting "double-standards" on the issue.
"We found that even ministers of UPA partner Trinamool Congress took to the road in the city to protest petrol price hike. The same party announced measures to counter the BJP-sponsored bandh called on the same issue", state BJP Secretary Ritesh Tiwari said in a statement.
Criticising the state government`s circular to its employees against absence from duty on Thursday and cautioning salary-cut, Tiwari said, "we have no hesitation to call these steps as fascist action".
"It is condemnable that the state government is bent upon gagging democracy, for which the previous Left Front government had learnt bitter lessons and had to pay for", he said.
During the BJP-sponsored statewide bandh, called in response to the NDA`s nationwide bandh call on Thursday, the party workers would resort to road blockade programmes and take out processions all over West Bengal, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video