BJP demands CBI inquiry in Aminul self-immolation case
Kolkata: Accusing the West Bengal government of shielding the main culprits in the Mir Aminul Islam self-immolation case, the state BJP unit Monday demanded a CBI inquiry into the matter.
The Kolkata police department had suspended three personnel of Karaya police station for allegedly harassing Aminul after which he immolated himself last month and died of injuries on January one.
"What is the use of suspending three policemen? Senior officials are being shielded. We demand a CBI inquiry into the matter. Why is Trinamool Congress and Mamata Banerjee are tight-lipped on this matter?" state BJP president Rahul Sinha asked.
Police sources said Aminul`s family members demanded action against the three policemen of Karaya police station for harassing Aminul, who had taken a minor rape victim to the police station to file a complaint.
Islam had set himself ablaze before the police station on December 3 last year in protest against the police inaction against the complaint of rape and his harassment.
His family members produced a note he had written asking them to raise their voice against the nexus between the police and the accused, Shahzada Bux, who was later arrested.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA : When will Indian govt take strong actions against terrorism?
- Drunk girl assaults Mumbai police in Worli
- Arun Jaitley upset with Subramaniam Swami's Twitter attack
- Bombay HC to pronounce verdict on entry of woman to Haji Ali Dargah today
- DNA: When will Indian govt take strong actions against terrorism? - Part II
- Juno on Jupiter's doorstep: Stunning view of giant planet and its largest moons (Pic inside)!
- 'Can you spare USD10 to help elect a billionaire?' - Trump emails
- 'Narasimha Rao's pro Hindu mindset led to Babri mosque demolition'
- Brexit: Germany, France, Italy vow `new impulse` for European Union
- Euro 2016: Holders Spain knocked out by Italy in last 16