BJP demands CBI inquiry in Aminul self-immolation case
Kolkata: Accusing the West Bengal government of shielding the main culprits in the Mir Aminul Islam self-immolation case, the state BJP unit Monday demanded a CBI inquiry into the matter.
The Kolkata police department had suspended three personnel of Karaya police station for allegedly harassing Aminul after which he immolated himself last month and died of injuries on January one.
"What is the use of suspending three policemen? Senior officials are being shielded. We demand a CBI inquiry into the matter. Why is Trinamool Congress and Mamata Banerjee are tight-lipped on this matter?" state BJP president Rahul Sinha asked.
Police sources said Aminul`s family members demanded action against the three policemen of Karaya police station for harassing Aminul, who had taken a minor rape victim to the police station to file a complaint.
Islam had set himself ablaze before the police station on December 3 last year in protest against the police inaction against the complaint of rape and his harassment.
His family members produced a note he had written asking them to raise their voice against the nexus between the police and the accused, Shahzada Bux, who was later arrested.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop good communication skills for a successful life?
- Curfew lifted from 4 districts of Kashmir valley
- Recently launched Pokemon Go gaining extreme popularity among users
- Rajnath Singh meets J&K CM Mehbooba Mufti to discuss current situation in valley
- AAP MLA Amantulla Khan arrested for misbehaving with a woman
- Major water crisis in Chandigarh, Mohali and Panchkula - Know reason behind it
- Two Mexican kidnappers sentenced to 520 years in prison
- California wildfire spreads to over 11,000 acres
- After Gujarat, Dalits attacked in Karnataka's Chikkamagaluru for storing beef; seven Bajrang Dal activists booked
- Nora Fatehi not happy with Salman Yusuf Khan's entry in 'Jhalak Dikhhla Jaa 9'?