BJP demands five-phase panchayat polls in WB
Kolkata: The BJP today demanded a five phase panchayat poll in West Bengal and threatened to go to court if the state government took any unilateral decision on the number of phases and deployment of central forces during the polls.
"We want a five phase election and Governor M K Narayanan to bring the state election commission (SEC) and the government together to reach an amicable solution on the number of phases in which the elections will be held," state BJP president Rahul Sinha said here.
"But, if the state government takes any unilateral decision on this and if it decides not to deploy central forces at booths during the elections, we will move court against such a decision," Sinha said.
"Since the commission wants it to be held in three phases, we have no objection to that," he said.
The West Bengal government which wants election in two phases with deployment of the police has been at loggerheads with the SEC which wants polls in three phases with deployment of central forces.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mumbai: Police arrests 4 schoolboys for raping classmate
- Haryana minister Anil Vij gets into spat with Fatehabad SP Sangeeta Kalia
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's controversial statement on PoK
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's full speech in Parliament
- DNA: Heart-wrenching stories of Kashmiri pandits
- Kim Jong-Un issues bizarre diktat, asks North Korean men to copy his hairstyle, women to follow his wife
- Muslim man sends 'talaq' SMS to wife after learning about her gang-rape
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's speech in Parliament on Constitution debate
- Four minors gang-rape teenage girl in Mumbai, circulate video on WhatsApp
- ISL 2015: NorthEast United FC vs Delhi Dynamos - Preview