BJP demands five-phase panchayat polls in WB
Kolkata: The BJP today demanded a five phase panchayat poll in West Bengal and threatened to go to court if the state government took any unilateral decision on the number of phases and deployment of central forces during the polls.
"We want a five phase election and Governor M K Narayanan to bring the state election commission (SEC) and the government together to reach an amicable solution on the number of phases in which the elections will be held," state BJP president Rahul Sinha said here.
"But, if the state government takes any unilateral decision on this and if it decides not to deploy central forces at booths during the elections, we will move court against such a decision," Sinha said.
"Since the commission wants it to be held in three phases, we have no objection to that," he said.
The West Bengal government which wants election in two phases with deployment of the police has been at loggerheads with the SEC which wants polls in three phases with deployment of central forces.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM