BJP gifted Howrah seat to Mamata: Congress
New Delhi: A day after drubbing in Howrah Lok Sabha by-election, Congress on Thursday sought to attribute Trinamool Congress`s win to a "nexus between Mamata Banerjee`s party and the BJP", saying it was the latter`s "gift" to Banerjee for walking out of UPA.
The party claimed that BJP withdrew its candidate at last moment in favour of Banerjee`s party.
"This is BJP`s gift to Mamata for walking out of UPA. BJP withdrew its candidate at the last moment from the seat in favour of Banerjee`s party. Had the BJP candidate contested the poll, her candidate would not have won," said the AICC in-charge for West Bengal Shakeel Ahmed.
Ahmed, who is also the party spokesperson, alleged that West Bengal BJP President Rahul Sinha had even issued an appeal to people not to vote either for CPI-M or Congress.
"When a party does not field a candidate in elections and issues appeals not to vote against some particular parties barring one, it means the party is supporting a particular party," he said.
In the lone Lok Sabha bypoll in Howrah in West Bengal, the ruling TMC retained the seat with a margin of over 27,000 votes defeating the nearest CPI(M) rival. Congress settled at the third spot.
Congress candidate Sanatan Mukherjee was polled 96,727 votes. The seat had fell vacant following the death of TMC MP Ambika Banerjee.
TMC has held that the result prove that people reposed their faith on the performance of Mamata Banerjee government in the past two years.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Zakir Naik's foundation converted many to Islam for monetary benefits?
- Is Zakir Naik's foundation converted many to Islam for monetary benefits?- Part II
- Why Pakistan commits heinous crime in Balochistan and POK?
- Why Pakistan commits heinous crime in Balochistan and POK?- Part II
- Why Pakistan commits heinous crime in Balochistan and POK?- Part III
- Satpal Singh fumes at his name being dragged in doping controversy surrounding Narsingh Yadav
- RBI slaps penalty on UCO Bank, Allahabad Bank, Bank of India
- No relief! Court dismisses bail plea of AAP MLA Amanatullah Khan; sent to 14-day judicial custody
- SBI launches debit card-less instant money transfer facility
- Swara Bhaskar to lose weight for 'Veere Di Wedding'