BJP gifted Howrah seat to Mamata: Congress
New Delhi: A day after drubbing in Howrah Lok Sabha by-election, Congress on Thursday sought to attribute Trinamool Congress`s win to a "nexus between Mamata Banerjee`s party and the BJP", saying it was the latter`s "gift" to Banerjee for walking out of UPA.
The party claimed that BJP withdrew its candidate at last moment in favour of Banerjee`s party.
"This is BJP`s gift to Mamata for walking out of UPA. BJP withdrew its candidate at the last moment from the seat in favour of Banerjee`s party. Had the BJP candidate contested the poll, her candidate would not have won," said the AICC in-charge for West Bengal Shakeel Ahmed.
Ahmed, who is also the party spokesperson, alleged that West Bengal BJP President Rahul Sinha had even issued an appeal to people not to vote either for CPI-M or Congress.
"When a party does not field a candidate in elections and issues appeals not to vote against some particular parties barring one, it means the party is supporting a particular party," he said.
In the lone Lok Sabha bypoll in Howrah in West Bengal, the ruling TMC retained the seat with a margin of over 27,000 votes defeating the nearest CPI(M) rival. Congress settled at the third spot.
Congress candidate Sanatan Mukherjee was polled 96,727 votes. The seat had fell vacant following the death of TMC MP Ambika Banerjee.
TMC has held that the result prove that people reposed their faith on the performance of Mamata Banerjee government in the past two years.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Kailash Vijayvargiya on Akshay Singh's death: Is a journalist bigger than me?
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- 'Selfie with daughter' controversy: Bollywood supports Shruti Seth