BJP goes on rampage over renaming Aligarh varsity
Baharampur (WB): BJP supporters on Friday injured five policemen by platings stones and exploded bombs, torched two government vehicles and ransacked the office of the BDO at Suti (1) demanding renaming of the upcoming campus of the Aligarh Muslim University in Murshidabad district.
The trouble started when a BJP delegation led by its state unit President Rahul Sinha and the Block Development Officer (BDO) exchanged heated arguments over the demands of renaming the proposed university and immediate stoppage of its construction work which began in the first week of August, SP Humayun Kabir said.
Soon BJP supporters pelted stones and exploded bombs injuring five policemen, set afire two government vehicles and smashed furniture, window panes of the BDO office.
Additional force reached the spot and dispersed the mob. Five persons were arrested, Kabir said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India
- Europe to 'free up space' by kicking out tens of thousands of Pakistanis
- Vladimir Putin rages as Turkey shoots down Russian plane
- I was shivering while interviewing Nirbhaya's friend, says Ramnath Goenka awardee Sudhir Chaudhary
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan