BJP goes on rampage over renaming Aligarh varsity
Baharampur (WB): BJP supporters on Friday injured five policemen by platings stones and exploded bombs, torched two government vehicles and ransacked the office of the BDO at Suti (1) demanding renaming of the upcoming campus of the Aligarh Muslim University in Murshidabad district.
The trouble started when a BJP delegation led by its state unit President Rahul Sinha and the Block Development Officer (BDO) exchanged heated arguments over the demands of renaming the proposed university and immediate stoppage of its construction work which began in the first week of August, SP Humayun Kabir said.
Soon BJP supporters pelted stones and exploded bombs injuring five policemen, set afire two government vehicles and smashed furniture, window panes of the BDO office.
Additional force reached the spot and dispersed the mob. Five persons were arrested, Kabir said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- REALITY CHECK of WhatsApp message: How common man can sign petition to declare Pakistan a terror state