BJP goes on rampage over renaming Aligarh varsity
Baharampur (WB): BJP supporters on Friday injured five policemen by platings stones and exploded bombs, torched two government vehicles and ransacked the office of the BDO at Suti (1) demanding renaming of the upcoming campus of the Aligarh Muslim University in Murshidabad district.
The trouble started when a BJP delegation led by its state unit President Rahul Sinha and the Block Development Officer (BDO) exchanged heated arguments over the demands of renaming the proposed university and immediate stoppage of its construction work which began in the first week of August, SP Humayun Kabir said.
Soon BJP supporters pelted stones and exploded bombs injuring five policemen, set afire two government vehicles and smashed furniture, window panes of the BDO office.
Additional force reached the spot and dispersed the mob. Five persons were arrested, Kabir said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Rahul Gandhi's and Congress' Twitter accounts hacked: Who's behind it?
- Rahul Gandhi's Twitter handle hacked again
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 4.7 crore cash in Rs 2000 notes! Biggest seizure in new currency post demonetisation - What I-T recovered from Bengaluru, Chennai and Erode
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'