BJP LS poll candidate distributed money, alleges TMC
Suri: The Trinamool Congress on Friday alleged that the BJP Lok Sabha candidate from Birbhum district has distributed money to lure voters.
TMC MLA from Rampurhat in the district Ashis Banerjee alleged that BJP candidate Jay Banerjee during electioneering at Fulidanga village distributed money among villagers as inducement in exchange of votes for the party.
The TMC MLA, who is also the chairman of district Trinamool Congress said, "We have come to know from our party sources that Jay Banerjee was spotted by locals at Fulidanga and media persons distributing money. We shall lodge a compliant with the EC as it amounts to violation of code of conduct."
However, the BJP candidate denied the charge, saying that he had gone to a place of worship of Muslims at Fulidanga in Birbhum district to pay his respect.
"...It is a custom to offer chadar. A very aged local villager brought a chadar, some flowers and atar for me. I offered those and thought I should pay for these things. As `dakshina` and cost of those things, I gave him some money," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan chased by a tiger!
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Navjot Singh Sidhu diagnosed with DVT: Know about this life threatening disease!
- Asaduddin Owaisi's brother Akbaruddin in trouble over poll speech, arrest warrant issued