BJP LS poll candidate distributed money, alleges TMC
Suri: The Trinamool Congress on Friday alleged that the BJP Lok Sabha candidate from Birbhum district has distributed money to lure voters.
TMC MLA from Rampurhat in the district Ashis Banerjee alleged that BJP candidate Jay Banerjee during electioneering at Fulidanga village distributed money among villagers as inducement in exchange of votes for the party.
The TMC MLA, who is also the chairman of district Trinamool Congress said, "We have come to know from our party sources that Jay Banerjee was spotted by locals at Fulidanga and media persons distributing money. We shall lodge a compliant with the EC as it amounts to violation of code of conduct."
However, the BJP candidate denied the charge, saying that he had gone to a place of worship of Muslims at Fulidanga in Birbhum district to pay his respect.
"...It is a custom to offer chadar. A very aged local villager brought a chadar, some flowers and atar for me. I offered those and thought I should pay for these things. As `dakshina` and cost of those things, I gave him some money," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Watch: Sushma Swaraj addresses the UN General Assembly
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi