BJP nominee Bappi Lahiri wants a healthy fight
Kolkata: The BJP on Thursday alleged that hoardings of veteran musician and the party`s Lok Sabha candidate Bappi Lahiri was being removed by the Trinamool Congress.
"TMC is removing his hoardings. They have stopped down to this low level but they cannot remove `Bappi-da` from the hearts of the people," BJP state president Rahul Sinha said.
Kicking off his poll campaign from Serampore in Hooghly district, the 61-year-old `Disco King` of Bollywood said he wants a healthy fight.
"I started my career from zero. I have been fighting all my life and continue to fight even now. I want a peaceful and healthy fight," he said adding that since his songs are a hit even now it proves that people love him.
"Only God can defeat me. No man or party can defeat me," said Lahiri who has composed music for many evergreen numbers and lend his voice to many soulful songs.
Promising to set up a music academy in Serampore constituency from where he is contesting, he said he wants to bring the former Danish colony into the national tourist map.
"I have many dreams for the people there. I want to bring this place into the tourist map of India," the `Ooh la la` singer said.
Serampore was a Danish colony between 1755 and 1845 and has many structures constructed in the neo-classical architectural style. Due to lack of restoration and marketing efforts, the river town has not become a a tourist hub.
Lahiri said by bringing tourists to Serampore, he wants to develop the area.
Asked why he chose BJP to enter politics, he said it was because of sentimental attachments with Syama Prasad Mookerjee, the founding president of the erstwhile Bharatiya Jan Sangh, the predecessor to the present day BJP.
On his thoughts about the Mamata Banerjee-led TMC government in West Bengal, Lahiri said things are good in Bengal but not at the Centre.
"I respect everyone. In Bengal, everything is good. I am contesting for the Centre," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- PM Modi releases digital version of Ramcharitmanas musical
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das