BJP nominee Bappi Lahiri wants a healthy fight
Kolkata: The BJP on Thursday alleged that hoardings of veteran musician and the party`s Lok Sabha candidate Bappi Lahiri was being removed by the Trinamool Congress.
"TMC is removing his hoardings. They have stopped down to this low level but they cannot remove `Bappi-da` from the hearts of the people," BJP state president Rahul Sinha said.
Kicking off his poll campaign from Serampore in Hooghly district, the 61-year-old `Disco King` of Bollywood said he wants a healthy fight.
"I started my career from zero. I have been fighting all my life and continue to fight even now. I want a peaceful and healthy fight," he said adding that since his songs are a hit even now it proves that people love him.
"Only God can defeat me. No man or party can defeat me," said Lahiri who has composed music for many evergreen numbers and lend his voice to many soulful songs.
Promising to set up a music academy in Serampore constituency from where he is contesting, he said he wants to bring the former Danish colony into the national tourist map.
"I have many dreams for the people there. I want to bring this place into the tourist map of India," the `Ooh la la` singer said.
Serampore was a Danish colony between 1755 and 1845 and has many structures constructed in the neo-classical architectural style. Due to lack of restoration and marketing efforts, the river town has not become a a tourist hub.
Lahiri said by bringing tourists to Serampore, he wants to develop the area.
Asked why he chose BJP to enter politics, he said it was because of sentimental attachments with Syama Prasad Mookerjee, the founding president of the erstwhile Bharatiya Jan Sangh, the predecessor to the present day BJP.
On his thoughts about the Mamata Banerjee-led TMC government in West Bengal, Lahiri said things are good in Bengal but not at the Centre.
"I respect everyone. In Bengal, everything is good. I am contesting for the Centre," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Asaduddin Owaisi's brother Akbaruddin in trouble over poll speech, arrest warrant issued