BJP says Mahasweta sought ticket for daughter, writer denies it
Kolkata: BJP`s West Bengal unit president Rahul Sinha Monday claimed eminent author Mahasweta Devi had approached him after the Trinamool Congress refused to honour its promise of fielding her foster daughter from Alipurduar Lok Sabha seat. She denied the claim.
"Today(Monday) I got a call on behalf of Mahasweta Devi, saying that (Trinamool supremo) Mamata Banerjee had promised her about nominating her foster daughter from Alipurduar. But like always, Trinamool backtracked from its promise.
"Mahasweta Devi wanted to know if the BJP could accommodate her daughter as a candidate, but I expressed my regret as we have finalised our candidate list," Sinha told media persons here.
The author, who is close to Banerjee, denied calling up Sinha.
"I did not make any calls to him... I don`t know why he is saying all this," said the Magsaysay Prize awardee.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- More than 9 lakh people participated in the oath-taking ceremony of Donald Trump
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog