BJP says Mahasweta sought ticket for daughter, writer denies it
Kolkata: BJP`s West Bengal unit president Rahul Sinha Monday claimed eminent author Mahasweta Devi had approached him after the Trinamool Congress refused to honour its promise of fielding her foster daughter from Alipurduar Lok Sabha seat. She denied the claim.
"Today(Monday) I got a call on behalf of Mahasweta Devi, saying that (Trinamool supremo) Mamata Banerjee had promised her about nominating her foster daughter from Alipurduar. But like always, Trinamool backtracked from its promise.
"Mahasweta Devi wanted to know if the BJP could accommodate her daughter as a candidate, but I expressed my regret as we have finalised our candidate list," Sinha told media persons here.
The author, who is close to Banerjee, denied calling up Sinha.
"I did not make any calls to him... I don`t know why he is saying all this," said the Magsaysay Prize awardee.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured