BJP seeks EC intervention in Darjeeling
New Delhi: Alleging misuse of administrative machinery by Trinamool Congress, BJP today sought "urgent intervention" of Election Commission of India to prevent the arrest of Gorkha Janmukti Morcha leaders and supporters who are supporting BJP`s candidate S S Ahluwalia in Darjeeling Lok Sabha constituency in West Bengal.
In a letter to ECI, BJP has alleged that after the announcement of the alliance between the party and GJM and of the candidature of Ahluwalia for Darjeeling seat, West Bengal government has unleashed a reign of terror in the area.
"During the last few days, the Darjeeling Police issued more than 600 warrants against GJM leaders and cadres pertaining to cases that were registered during the Gorkhaland agitation," it said.
BJP has accused the Darjeeling Superintendent of Police of falsely claiming to the media that the drive to issue arrest warrants is under the order of the Election Commission.
Terming it as "an act of political vendeta by TMC/state government against GJM for entering into an alliance with BJP, the party has requested the EC to take suitable action.
"We request you to have the matter looked into, appropriate enquiries made, and thereafter suitable action be taken against the TMC/Bengal government and the district and police officials responsible for the illegal and politically motivated act of issuing arrest warrants against GJM leaders and cadres in violation of the tripartite Memorandum of Agreement signed on July 18, 2011, the letter to EC said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Are separatists scared with 'Dangal' girl Zaira Wasim's success?
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- Virat Kohli's 'shot of the year' already has a big challenger – See video to believe!
- WATCH: Dope-tainted Brock Lesnar causes carnage on return to WWE Raw ahead of Royal Rumble