BJP slams Mamata govt for its potato policy
Kolkata: The BJP today flayed the policy of the Mamata Banerjee government saying it would in turn trigger rise in prices of vegetables, fish and other essential items even as the clampdown on potato laden trucks for other states continued in city and elsewhere.
"If other states now stop exporting vegetables, egg, onions, fish and essential items to Bengal, what will happen here?" BJP state President Rahul Sinha asked.
"The state government should have acted in a different way ensuring potato was sold at right price and the potato farmers get right return with a strong measure against its hoarding," he said.
"Seized potatoes are now rotting for want of adequate arrangement for its direct sale among people at a rate fixed by the state government," Sinha alleged.
Meanwhile, the Kolkata Police sources said that 119 trucks of potatoes were seized so far and the entire seized potatoes are stored in three spots at Milan Mela complex, Ultadanga and Hastings.
A part of the seizure have already been sent to different markets by the Kolkata Municipal Corporation authorities for their sale in government regulated price.
Seizures were also made in different districts by the police and Enforcement Branch officials including Mohammedbazar, Birbhum district.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa