BJP suggests all-party meet on panchayat poll impasse
Kolkata: Amid the ongoing tussle between the West Bengal government and the State Election Commission over holding of the panchayat elections, the BJP on Thursday suggested convening an all-party meeting to break the impasse.
"There is a difference of opinion between the state government and poll panel over holding of the panchayat election. In view of this an all-party meeting should be convened to sort out the problem," state BJP president Rahul Sinha told reporters here.
Noting that EC representatives should be invited to the all-party meeting, Sinha said if a decision could be taken after reviewing the situation it would be a remarkable achievement.
Differences of opinion cropped up between the Trinamool Congress government which wanted a two-phase poll and the EC which recommended a three-phase election under the supervision of central forces.
Asserting that it was the prerogative of the state government to decide the dates, panchayat minister Subrata Mukherjee had earlier said that the dates would be notified after the vote on account was passed by the Assembly on March 15.
EC in a letter to the state government last week had recommended a three-phase panchayat poll with deployment of central forces.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Give up terrorism and let’s talk', Sushma Swaraj's reply to Nawaz Sharif at UNGA
- Lalu Yadav attacks PM Modi over Mahatma Gandhi's assassination
- Whole world is worried about global warming and climate change, says PM Modi
- Bihar will celebrate two Diwalis in 2015, one will be after poll results: Modi
- Is Mahatma Gandhi's name slowly fading away from the minds of the youth?
- World can now see consequences of Pakistan occupation in PoK: India
- Watch: Unbelievable! Kapil Sharma thrown out of Aishwarya Rai’s vanity van
- 1st T20: India vs South Africa – Players to watch out for
- Know who replaced Katrina Kaif in film opposite Jackie Chan
- ISL 2015: Chennaiyin FC vs Atletico de Kolkata - Preview