BJP`s SS Ahluwalia bats for Gorkhaland
Siliguri: BJP vice president SS Ahluwalia Wednesday asserted that his party was in favour of creating smaller states, and said the demand for a separate Gorkhaland was not unconstitutional.
Ahluwalia, who is contesting from the Darjeeling Lok Sabha constituency, criticised the Mamata Banerjee government in West Bengal for its "vengeful attitude" towards the Gorkha Janmukti Morcha (GJM) which has been demanding Gorkhaland.
"BJP is in favour of creating smaller states for better administration. We have always maintained that the problems and concerns of both the Gorkhas and the tribals here will be considered sympathetically," the Bharatiya Janata Party leader told reporters.
"People, who are against the division of the state have the constitutional right to oppose, but at the same time the Gorkhas by demanding a separate state are also not asking for anything unconstitutional," said Ahluwalia.
Ahluwalia said a BJP delegation will meet the Election Commission against the "wrongful" arrest of GJM activists.
"In the garb of the EC`s order, the Trinamool government is vengefully issuing warrants against GJM activists. Moreover, in a show of favouritism, warrants have not been issued against those GJM activists who have switched to Trinamool.
"Ever since the GJM entered into an alliance with us, the Trinamool government has issued over 1,000 warrants. This is nothing but to create panic. A BJP committee will be meeting the EC in this regard," he said.
Earlier in the day, GJM supremo Bimal Gurung called upon the people of the region to support the BJP to achieve its long cherished goal of a separate state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- PM Narendra Modi ropes in Nandan Nilekani to boost process of digital payments post demonetisation
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145