Blast in West Bengal`s Jalpaiguri, seven killed
Siliguri: Seven people were killed and a few others injured when suspected Kamtapur Liberation Organisation (KLO) militants triggered a bomb blast in Jalpaiguri district of northern West Bengal on Thursday evening, police said.
"Seven people have been killed. Some others are injured. Our reading is that the blast was caused by an Improvised Explosive Device (IED) kept in a cycle," said Inspector General of Police, North Bengal, Sashikant Pujari.
Jalpaiguri`s Deputy Superintendent of Police Prabhat Chakraborty told a news agency that four injured people were admitted in Jalpaiguri District Hospital.
The blast occurred around 7 pm in Bajrapara area.
"We suspect KLO militants are behind the blast. Recently some of their activists have been arrested. The blast could be a retaliatory action on their part," said Pujari.
The blast took place two days ahead of December 28, the foundation day of KLO, which came up in 1996.
Following the incident, a high alert has been sounded across north Bengal.
"There is high alert also in the international borders with Bhutan, Nepal and Bangladesh and the Bengal-Assam inter-state border," said Pujari.
A bomb disposal squad has already reached the spot from Siliguri in Darjeeling district.
A forensic team would arrive on Friday.
Two days back, three KLO militants were rounded up in Jalpaiguri district for their alleged involvement in extortion from tea garden owners and other businessmen from north Bengal by issuing threats.
A separatist outfit, the KLOhas been demanding a Kamtapur state comprising six districts - Cooch Behar, Darjeeling, Jalpaiguri, North and South Dinajpur and Malda - of West Bengal and four contiguous districts of Assam - Kokrajhar, Bongaigaon, Dhubri and Goalpara.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Indian Army avenges Uri with surgical strikes across LoC, heavy casualties
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says