Boat capsizes near Sagar island, three bodies found
Kakdwip: Three persons were killed
when a motorised boat, carrying nearly 50 passengers, capsized
in the Muriganga river on way to Kakdwip in South 24 Parganas
Police said a group of 200 pilgrims from Uttar Pradesh
was returning to Kakdwip on four motorised boats after
offering pujas at the Kapil Muni temple at Sagar Islands on
the confluence of the Bay of Bengal and the Hooghly river when
one of the vessels sank.
"Three bodies have been fished out and taken to the
Kakdwip hospital," a police official said.
Eyewitnesses claimed eight to 10 persons drowned.
Most of the pilgrims swam ashore or were rescued by
locals at the bank known as `Lot Number Eight`, the police
said. Divers have been engaged to search for bodies, if any.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- President Mukherjee inspect International Fleet Review at Vishakhapatnam
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How realising the purpose of life gives you direction
- Divyansh's death not an accident, but a murder?
- Was Divyansh sexually assaulted and then murdered?
- India takes inspiration from Iran; sets up 'Hanger of Kindness' in Delhi
- VIDEO: Mohammad Amir's hat-trick in Match 2 of PSL 2016
- GHMC election results: TRS scores landslide win; TDP-BJP wiped out
- Oh so cute! PM Narendra Modi pulls Akshay Kumar's son Aarav Kumar's ear!-- See pic
- Muslim personal law can't be subjected to scrutiny by Supreme Court: Jamiat-Ulama-i-Hind
- IPL 2016 auction - As it happened...