Boat capsizes near Sagar island, three bodies found
Kakdwip: Three persons were killed
when a motorised boat, carrying nearly 50 passengers, capsized
in the Muriganga river on way to Kakdwip in South 24 Parganas
Police said a group of 200 pilgrims from Uttar Pradesh
was returning to Kakdwip on four motorised boats after
offering pujas at the Kapil Muni temple at Sagar Islands on
the confluence of the Bay of Bengal and the Hooghly river when
one of the vessels sank.
"Three bodies have been fished out and taken to the
Kakdwip hospital," a police official said.
Eyewitnesses claimed eight to 10 persons drowned.
Most of the pilgrims swam ashore or were rescued by
locals at the bank known as `Lot Number Eight`, the police
said. Divers have been engaged to search for bodies, if any.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- NHRC issues notice to Rajasthan government over death of 11 children in home
- Delhi: 10-year-old boy dies due to overdose of Vitamin D
- Haryana: Groom injured in celebratory firing at wedding in Hissar
- Phase V of West Bengal Assembly polls starts today
- Discussion over Mamata Banerjee's close aide Firhad Hakim's 'mini Pakistan' comment
- Anti-Donald Trump protests break out for second day in California
- UN council discusses move to enforce North Korea sanctions
- Norway helicopter crash: All 13 people on board dead, 11 bodies recovered
- Britain`s queen joins royal Invictus Games challenge to Obamas -Watch video
- Kerala Assembly Elections 2016: VS Achuthanandan’s one line speech stuns CPM workers