Boat capsizes near Sagar island, three bodies found
Kakdwip: Three persons were killed
when a motorised boat, carrying nearly 50 passengers, capsized
in the Muriganga river on way to Kakdwip in South 24 Parganas
Police said a group of 200 pilgrims from Uttar Pradesh
was returning to Kakdwip on four motorised boats after
offering pujas at the Kapil Muni temple at Sagar Islands on
the confluence of the Bay of Bengal and the Hooghly river when
one of the vessels sank.
"Three bodies have been fished out and taken to the
Kakdwip hospital," a police official said.
Eyewitnesses claimed eight to 10 persons drowned.
Most of the pilgrims swam ashore or were rescued by
locals at the bank known as `Lot Number Eight`, the police
said. Divers have been engaged to search for bodies, if any.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India