Boat capsizes near Sagar island, three bodies found
Kakdwip: Three persons were killed
when a motorised boat, carrying nearly 50 passengers, capsized
in the Muriganga river on way to Kakdwip in South 24 Parganas
Police said a group of 200 pilgrims from Uttar Pradesh
was returning to Kakdwip on four motorised boats after
offering pujas at the Kapil Muni temple at Sagar Islands on
the confluence of the Bay of Bengal and the Hooghly river when
one of the vessels sank.
"Three bodies have been fished out and taken to the
Kakdwip hospital," a police official said.
Eyewitnesses claimed eight to 10 persons drowned.
Most of the pilgrims swam ashore or were rescued by
locals at the bank known as `Lot Number Eight`, the police
said. Divers have been engaged to search for bodies, if any.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 11-year old Odisha boy to get football training at Bayern Munich in Germany
- China warns India against deploying BrahMos cruise missile in Arunachal Pradesh
- One killed in TV channel office attack in Karachi
- Gujarat: Journalist working for local daily found dead in his Junagadh office
- Watch: How floods throw normal life out of gear across country