Bodies of slain EFR jawans handed over to relatives
Midnapore (WB): Heart-rending scenes were
witnessed when bodies of the 24 EFR jawans, killed in Monday`s
deadly Maoist strike, were handed over to their relatives for
last rites Wednesday at Salua camp, near Jhargram in West
Earlier, Eastern Frontier Rifles (EFR) battalions gave a
gun salute to the slain jawans late last night in the presence
of five ministers from the West Bengal Government
Wreaths were placed on the coffins wrapped in the
Tricolour at the Salua camp of the state force.
State Finance Minister Asim Dasgupta, who along with four
other ministers faced angry demonstration by relatives of the
deceased jawans last night, announced compensation of Rs 15
lakh for each of the families of the dead, a job for a family
member and salary due for the remaining part of their service
Dasgupta pacified the agitated crowd by assuring that
steps would be taken to strengthen security of the Salua camp
by erecting high boundary walls and barbed wire fencing.
Meanwhile, forensic experts today collected samples of
splinters and cartridges from the burnt camp at Shilda. A bomb
disposal squad also visited the site which was still being
cleared of rubble.
The condition of one of the four injured EFR jawans
admitted to hospital was still critical, police said.
All shops and markets, schools and colleges remained
closed and no transport was seen on the roads.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- PM Narendra Modi ropes in Nandan Nilekani to boost process of digital payments post demonetisation
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145