Bomb hoax in Kolkata IT hub, one held
Kolkata: A bomb hoax led to the evacuation of 1,500 employees and a massive search at a 14-storey building in the IT hub of Rajarhat on the city outskirts Wednesday. The hoax was traced to a youth who had been turned down for a job there a few months ago, police said.
An anonymous call reportedly made at Rajarhat police station claimed that the Technopolis building, which houses several IT firms, would be blown up. The caller said the bomb was in the ground floor of the building in Rajarhat in North 24-Parganas district.
"Nothing was found after hours of a long and thorough search. The bomb scare occurred after a hoax call made by a youth, Somnath Dhol, who was later arrested," District Superintendent of Police Rahul Srivasthav said.
Police said Dhol is an unemployed youth who had gone there for a job a few months back but was rejected.
Debabrata Das, Additional Superintendent of Police, Salt Lake, said: "Immediately after the anonymous call, huge contingents of police along with the officials of the fire and emergency services department rushed to the spot."
"The entire building was cordoned off within a 100-m radius and all the employees were asked to come down gradually."
"Bomb squads and dog squads were called in and search operations started. After the first round of extensive search at the basement, groundfloor and first floor, nothing suspicious was found," said a senior police officer.
Onlookers, including a few employees, however, alleged that bomb squad personnel arrive two hours after being informed about the incident.
Meanwhile, a scuffle broke out between photojournalists and the security guards of the Technopolis building. During the emergency evacuation of over 1,500 employees from the building, the journalists tried to enter into the premises, breaching the cordon put up by the private security personnel.
Police had to intervene and one policeman was also manhandled by the irate mob, police said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- CBSE (cbse.nic.in ) Class X results 2015: CBSE Class 10th Board results likely to be declared tomorrow on cbseresults.nic.in