Bomb scare stalls Metro train services in Kolkata
Kolkata: A sack emitting smoke floating in a canal near the Netaji Subhas station at Kudghat led to a bomb scare in the Metro Railway and stalled train services for 20 minutes during peak office hours on Friday.
The sack emitting orange coloured smoke was detected by Metro employees and the local police station was informed, an underground railway spokesman told a news agency.
Train services were suspended as a precautionary measure from 10:38 am to 10:58 am between Kavi Subhas and Tollygunge stations on instruction from the bomb squad and the Regent Park police, he said.
Police sources said that the sack contained a smoke alarm device normally used at airports or ports by defence personnel.
It was yet to be ascertained how it was floating in the canal, the sources added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kerala polls: Time ripe for BJP to open account in the state, says Rajiv Pratap Rudy
- TMC will be wiped out after poll results: Congress
- Indian Premier League 2016: Kings XI Punjab's Axar Patel claims first hat-trick of ninth edition
- Petrol prices in major Indian cities after latest hike!
- IPL 2016: Axar Patel's four-wicket haul guides Kings XI Punjab to 23-run win over table-toppers Gujarat Lions