Boy branded on cheeks for returning late from market in WB
Baharampore: An eight-year-old boy working as a domestic help was allegedly branded with a heated spatula by a housewife for being late in returning from market in this town in Murshidabad district.
The boy, Shibu, employed at the residence of a person identified as Kishore Bhagat, was sent to market yesterday by his wife Jayanti, police said today.
When the boy returned late, an angry Jayanti, who was cooking in the kitchen, allegedly branded him on the cheeks with a hot spatula, they said. The boy had been asked to bring salt and oil.
Hearing the child`s screams, locals intervened and informed about the incident to local NGO `Childline`.
The NGO took the boy to state-run home Ananda Ashram, which admitted him to a hospital, District Child Welfare Committee president Sirajul Islam said.
A case will be filed against the couple after the medical report of the boy`s injuries is received, Islam said.
Superintendent of Police Humayun Kabir said police had received a complaint and would investigate.
He said the couple was absconding.
Police said the boy, who was brought to work as a domestic help from East Midnapore district by a tout a year- and-half ago, had suffered regular beatings and was half fed by the couple.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan chased by a tiger!
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Navjot Singh Sidhu diagnosed with DVT: Know about this life threatening disease!
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!