Break TMC-Maoist tie-up, CPM tells Chidambaram
New Delhi: The CPI(M) on Saturday said the "link" between Trinamool Congress and the Maoists was the "single biggest factor" responsible for the volatile situation in West Bengal and asked Home Minister P Chidambaram to ensure that this tie-up is broken.
"It is essential for Home Minister Chidambaram, instead of issuing partisan statements, to ensure that his cabinet colleague Mamata Banerjee breaks her party`s links with the Maoists which is the single biggest factor responsible for the present situation", the party Politburo said in a statement here.
It said the "tragic loss of lives and injuries to several" in the West Midnapur district yesterday was "a result of the violent politics indulged in by the Maoist-Trinamool combine."
The party said quoting reports that in a "pre-planned move (yesterday), efforts were made to violently attack those families of CPI(M) who had returned to the village and those waiting in the displaced peoples camp to return" which led to the violence in which precious lives were lost.
"It should be recalled that earlier on December 16, when seven workers including a woman gram pradhan of Forward Bloc were brutally murdered in Jhalda in the Purulia district by Maoists, the TMC did not even issue a statement to condemn the killings, showing their complicity in the crime", the CPI(M) said.
It said the Maoist-Trinamool combine had driven out Left cadre from the Jangalmahal area using brutal methods in which over 122 tribal activists of the CPI(M) were killed, hundreds of homes burnt and thousands driven out of the area.
"Peoples` resistance in many areas has led to improvement in the situation which is not to the liking of this combine", the CPI(M) added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over SP leader Azam Khan's controversial remark on Muslim population
- Former CM Panneerselvam demands secret voting in Tamil Nadu Assembly
- Exclusive: In conversation with Rajnath Singh, Union Home Minister
- DMK, Congress will vote against government formation in Tamil Nadu
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowance Committee likely to submit report on 20 February
- Pakistan Senate passes Hindu Marriage Bill
- This video of Brett Lee's 143m six is taking internet by storm – Watch Video
- India can meet its energy requirements from Moon by 2030, says ISRO