Bride among six killed in accident, groom injured
Jalpaiguri: Six persons, including a bride, were killed and 10 others injured when an SUV carrying a marriage party hit a road side tree in Haldibari area of Coochbehar district in the small hours on Friday, the police said.
The accident occurred near Kashiabari Krishi Farm at about 1 AM when the marriage party was returning to the groom`s place after the wedding at Berubari.
While two children -- aged two and five -- died on the spot, two succumbed at the Jalpaiguri Hospital and as many at the North Bengal Medical College Hospital, they said.
The bride, Mahasina Begum (30), died at Jalpaiguri hospital, while the 65-year-old bridegroom Maqbul Hossain was injured.
Altafuddin, a relative of the bride`s family, has alleged that the driver of the SUV was drunk and was vehicle was in high speed.
The driver was among the injured, the sources said, adding six persons were admitted to the North Bengal Medical College Hospital, while four were being treated at Jalpaiguri hospital.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mann Ki Baat: PM Modi pays tribute to Kargil war martyrs
- Parade and hang Tiger, not Yakub: Salman Khan
- India to give fresh dossier to Pakistan on Lakhvi, Dawood, Hafiz
- Veterans serve country but do not get their due, says Anna Hazare
- Salman's controversial tweet on Yakub Memon a 'contempt of court'?
- Watch: Yuvraj Singh takes up Shoaib Malik's challenge, puts on his dancing shoes
- Mann ki Baat: Govt to provide cashless treatment to road accident victims, says PM Modi
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- Exercise, healthy food prevent knee pain in adults with diabetes
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar