Brinda terms Mamata regime `tyrant`
Ranchi: CPI(M) Polit Bureau member Brinda Karat today described as `tyranny` the abrupt cancellation of the release of a book on atrocities against women written by eminent feminist Jasodhara Bagchi in the Kolkata Book Fair.
"Nari Nirjantan Pratirodh Mancha" (Forum against the Oppression of Women) had planned the release of the Bengali book "Parajayee Nari" yesterday but the Book Fair authorities cancelled it claiming that it has political connotations.
"It`s undemocratic.... The unfortunate incident clearly shows that the Mamata Banerjee regime in West Bengal is tyrant. It is condemnable to gag intellectuals," Brinda told reporters here.
It was the first time in the history of West Bengal that such `censorship` had taken place, she claimed.
Brinda, however, did not equate the incident with the similar situations faced by writers Taslima Nasreen and Salman Rushdie several times.
"I will not compare it (with other incidents)," she added.
Taslima Nasreen`s book release was cancelled by the book fair authorities in 2012 following protest by Muslim fundamentalists, while Rushdie`s video-chat was cancelled by the Jaipur Literature Festival authorities the same year.
Referring to the recent rape incidents in West Bengal, Brinda said, "There is a sense of insecurity among the women in the state. Given a free and fair elections, the people would vote out the Trinamool Congress."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bhagat Singh's name termed as terrorist to be removed from DU textbook
- Ludhiana: Protest against DU for calling Bhagat Singh as terrorist in textbook
- Delhi: INTUC workers protest outside Subramanian Swamy's residence
- Special CBI court accuses Naveen Jindal for criminal conspiracy in coal scam
- Gujarat announces 10% reservation for economically backward class
- Ranveer Singh, Varun Dhawan, Arjun Kapoor, Sidharth Malhotra, Shahid Kapoor, Karan Singh Grover – Kisme Kitni ‘ab’ hai
- Coal scam: Court orders framing of charges against Naveen Jindal
- Pyongyang sentences Korean-American for spying
- I don't diet, I'm just genetically blessed: Priyanka Chopra
- Visit NH44 to gorge on some flavoursome dishes from Kashmir to Kanyakumari