BSF personnel arrested for molesting journalist
Kolkata: A Border Security Force (BSF) trooper was arrested Monday night for allegedly molesting a woman journalist near the busy Shyambazar crossing here, police said.
"We have received a complaint that a woman was molested near Shyambazar. One person has been arrested," Deputy Commissioner of Police (North) Gaurav Sharma told IANS, adding the alleged culprit was BSF trooper Manish Rajinder.
The victim, attached to a news channel, said the incident happened when she was entering a restaurant with a companion.
"I saw some uniformed men leaving the restaurant. I later learnt they were BSF jawans. The first jawan made some obscene comments while passing me and also tried to grope me. Initially, I was shocked. But after he left, I chased and caught hold of him close to a nearby police kiosk.
"Hearing the commotion, the public also came and caught him. The police personnel from the kiosk then took him in their custody," she said.
Later, the woman lodged a complaint at the Shyampukur police station.
Eyewitnesses said the trooper was drunk.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Assembly polls 2016: Arch political rivals PM Narendra Modi, Sonia Gandhi soon to hit Kerala
- Several radical mosques under surveillance: German intelligence head
- NEET exemption row: Supreme Court to hear fresh plea regarding MBBS, BDS entrance test today
- Prisoners revolt in Syria's Hama jail, seize guards - Syrian Observatory
- Spain misses deadline for new government, June election set