BSF plans border haat in Indo-Bangla border in Bengal
Kolkata: In bid to promote better relations between India and Bangladesh and to check smuggling at the border areas, BSF is planning to have border haats (markets) at four border intersections across India-Bangladesh border in West Bengal.
"We have proposed to set up border haats in India-Bangladesh border, where famous products, mostly agricultural products will be sold at these border haats," Additional Director General BSF BD Sharma said.
Sharma said the BSF have placed the proposal before the state government which is looking into the proposal.
According to Sharma, these border haats, will be rectangular in shape and will come up on both sides of the border, with two gates and both sides of the haat, one opening at the Indian side and another opening on Bangladesh side.
Sharma said that those who will be visiting those haats need to carry proper documents for identification.
"Such Border haat is already running in Meghalaya, and the state government is already demanding more such haats as it has been very popular there," said Sharma.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing