BSF plans border haat in Indo-Bangla border in Bengal
Kolkata: In bid to promote better relations between India and Bangladesh and to check smuggling at the border areas, BSF is planning to have border haats (markets) at four border intersections across India-Bangladesh border in West Bengal.
"We have proposed to set up border haats in India-Bangladesh border, where famous products, mostly agricultural products will be sold at these border haats," Additional Director General BSF BD Sharma said.
Sharma said the BSF have placed the proposal before the state government which is looking into the proposal.
According to Sharma, these border haats, will be rectangular in shape and will come up on both sides of the border, with two gates and both sides of the haat, one opening at the Indian side and another opening on Bangladesh side.
Sharma said that those who will be visiting those haats need to carry proper documents for identification.
"Such Border haat is already running in Meghalaya, and the state government is already demanding more such haats as it has been very popular there," said Sharma.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- ISI trains JeM, LeT terrorists: Former Pak president Pervez Musharraf
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing
- Virat Kohli: Amid break-up rumors, cricketer spends time with most beautiful woman
- Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna reaches home, police and family remain tight-lipped over her recovery
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police